Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Blow off from high-OG IIPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2009, 07:40 PM   #1
damdaman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts

Default Blow off from high-OG IIPA

So I brewed 5gal of very high OG (1.101) IIPA last night, and per concerns others posted about potential blow off I added it to my 6gal bottling bucket as a primary instead of the 5gal carboy. However, the krausen has still blown through all that headspace.

I tried using siphoning tubing as a temporary blow off tube but it clogged in less than an hour. Currently I have the rubber stopper in the hole with no airlock, as I read that with so much CO2 exiting thru the small hole where the airlock normally fits, there's little chance for bugs to get in.

But, I'm still concerned that this will lead to potential contamination before I can get to my LHBS tomorrow for a proper blow-off tube. Do I just have to risk it? No creative solution to this?

I shoulda listened to the advice to get a blow off tube before brewing this batch, but I just never made it back to the store.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2009, 08:10 PM   #2
jim4065
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I had the same problem. The blow off was so strong that it came out around the sides of the 3/8 tube in the 6 gallon Better Bottle stopper. Just finished cleaning up a 1/4 pound of congealed krausen - that stuff reminds me of stiff Butterscotch pudding. Never again. I'll have a "Big Blow" set-up before I brew again.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply