Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Blow off bucket

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2013, 05:05 PM   #1
cphit
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Blow off bucket

I've been reading through some of the forums and I'm Farley new to brewing. Is it ok if there is no water or sanitizer in my blow off bucket or will this cause air to get into my carboy and contaminate my mix?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2013, 05:24 PM   #2
woozy
Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 4

It allows a means for air to get in and contaminate but it doesn't *cause* the contamination. Your tube is completely open to the air now and is no longer sanitized. It's a risk. You don't need much sanitizer. I don't use a blow off bucket; I just stick the (sanitized) blow off tube into a cup containing sanitizer.

Once it's determined that Bob's Net Works makes fishing equipment there's really no point discussing why nylon woven rope is not a good choice for the router and server needs of your online presence.

Old 06-08-2013, 05:39 PM   #3
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1846 Times on 1628 Posts
Likes Given: 1321

A small jug will do fine. I use a plastic half gallon vodka jug 1/3 full of water with a splash of Starsan.

Old 06-08-2013, 10:26 PM   #4
cphit
Recipes 

Thanks for the advice. Just realized I didn't do it when I checked it this morning.

Old 06-08-2013, 10:34 PM   #5
woozy
Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cphit View Post
Thanks for the advice. Just realized I didn't do it when I checked it this morning.
You'll be fine. This is one of those "you should have done it but since you didn't you you might as well not worry about it" things.

Once it's determined that Bob's Net Works makes fishing equipment there's really no point discussing why nylon woven rope is not a good choice for the router and server needs of your online presence.

Old 06-09-2013, 03:00 AM   #6
cphit
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by woozy

You'll be fine. This is one of those "you should have done it but since you didn't you you might as well not worry about it" things.
Ok. I'm just going to make a new batch and see what the difference is in taste.

Old 06-09-2013, 03:33 AM   #7
BlindFaith
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I understand taking precautions and being safe with sanitation, but just to play devil's advocate, I will share my experiences. I have never used StarSan in any of my blowoff water and I normally do not pour the krausen diluted water out for several days until fermentation is complete. Sanitation is important, but anything can be overdone IMO. I have never had an infection in my 25 or so batches and I use blowoff for all my beers. You could ferment without a lid or airlock and still likely be fine. I understand mitigating risk, but do not assume the worse simply because there is a small chance.

Old 06-09-2013, 03:46 AM   #8
lumpher
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindFaith View Post
I understand taking precautions and being safe with sanitation, but just to play devil's advocate, I will share my experiences. I have never used StarSan in any of my blowoff water and I normally do not pour the krausen diluted water out for several days until fermentation is complete. Sanitation is important, but anything can be overdone IMO. I have never had an infection in my 25 or so batches and I use blowoff for all my beers. You could ferment without a lid or airlock and still likely be fine. I understand mitigating risk, but do not assume the worse simply because there is a small chance.
there is a term called "best practices". you can do what you say, and get by with it for weeks, month, years. someday your blowoff water WILL get contaminated if it's just water, and get sucked back in, and could have been handled with a few cents worth of starsan. best to get used to doing it right from the start, and avoiding that 1 time 3 years down the road when the lack of doing it bites you in the ass

Taps:
1: Yeti RIS clone
2: Mangrove Hefe
3: Barkshack Gingermead
4: Oatmeal Stout
5: Bavarian Wheat
6: Premium Lager

Fermenting: Concord Wine, ESB

Old 06-09-2013, 04:16 AM   #9
BlindFaith
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpher View Post

there is a term called "best practices". you can do what you say, and get by with it for weeks, month, years. someday your blowoff water WILL get contaminated if it's just water, and get sucked back in, and could have been handled with a few cents worth of starsan. best to get used to doing it right from the start, and avoiding that 1 time 3 years down the road when the lack of doing it bites you in the ass
I completely understand your point, I was just pointing out that there is no need to panic if there is a seemingly disastrous contamination incident. Consistent sanitation practices are essential, but the chances of infection are so low that there is no need to stress over the healthiness of your beer as long as you weren't completely careless and/or irresponsible. I agree it is always nice to cover one's a$$.

Old 06-09-2013, 04:21 AM   #10
lumpher
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindFaith View Post
I completely understand your point, I was just pointing out that there is no need to panic if there is a seemingly disastrous contamination incident. Consistent sanitation practices are essential, but the chances of infection are so low that there is no need to stress over the healthiness of your beer as long as you weren't completely careless and/or irresponsible. I agree it is always nice to cover one's a$$.
i hear you , my friend. "rdwhahb, don't panic, just don't do it again" type thing is what you're saying.

Taps:
1: Yeti RIS clone
2: Mangrove Hefe
3: Barkshack Gingermead
4: Oatmeal Stout
5: Bavarian Wheat
6: Premium Lager

Fermenting: Concord Wine, ESB

Quick Reply