Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Blow off

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2013, 04:21 AM   #1
Qmagic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Blow off

Hey guys and girls. I need your help please. I'm made my first Imperial Stout tonight but was looking on youtube and saw some vids of bad blow off after I made it. I do not have a blow off tube and do not want to wake up to a mess so other than lowering the temp of the room to slow it down what should I do? I was thinking of just taking the S-lock off and putting a heavy plastic cup on it while it was in the sink or shower and just letting it go. I really should have thought about this before but..... it is on a timer now.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 04:27 AM   #2
lumpher
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 15

do you have an auto-siphon? the hoses off those fit nicely into the hole in the top of the bucket, or the orange cap for the bottles. if so, sanitize and use

Taps:
1: Pilsen Ale (Pilsner made with US05)
2: Roasted ESB (mistake by the LHBS in recipe)
3: Skeeter Pee
4: Hoegarden Saison
Fermenting: English Mild

Old 02-10-2013, 04:31 AM   #3
Atonk
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Depending on how much yeast you pitched and how it ferments it may or may not go crazy tonight. Sometimes it can take a day or two to reach its peak. For tonight it wouldn't be a bad idea to move it safely to the tub, keeping it dark and covered, until you can get to the store tomorrow. If you put the heavy plastic cup over the airlock make sure it's clean and sanitized.

It's pronounced "thermometer."

Old 02-10-2013, 06:12 AM   #4
Qmagic
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I did order and received a auto-siphon but the lame brewing store did not include a hose or say that it was not included. I pitched the all the yeast in the vile and I already see they are active. I went to Walmart trying to find a hoes but no go. will have to wait until lowes opens in morning. Im going to put it in the shower and hope not much happens or can control it till I get to somewhere I can buy a hose. Thanks for your replies Lumpher and Atonk.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:21 AM   #5
jmh286
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qmagic View Post
I did order and received a auto-siphon but the lame brewing store did not include a hose or say that it was not included. I pitched the all the yeast in the vile and I already see they are active. I went to Walmart trying to find a hoes but no go. will have to wait until lowes opens in morning. Im going to put it in the shower and hope not much happens or can control it till I get to somewhere I can buy a hose. Thanks for your replies Lumpher and Atonk.
Please don't use lame....I hate that word. . For what it's worth, I always use a blowoff tube for the first few days of fermentation to remove the possibility of making a mess.

Mmmmmmm...Beer

Old 02-10-2013, 06:39 AM   #6
Qmagic
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh286 View Post
Please don't use lame....I hate that word. . For what it's worth, I always use a blowoff tube for the first few days of fermentation to remove the possibility of making a mess.
I realize that I should have used a blow off tube, this is my first big beer and once I get one I will most likely use it every time on the first few days. Thanks and that is an odd request, you got me wondering, why?

Old 02-10-2013, 04:42 PM   #7
Qmagic
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hey guys, taking the s-lock off and putting a cup over it seemed to work. Ya there was the mess on the side of the carboy but all seems well now and can put the s-lock back on. I'm sure the Co2 protected it. Thanks now off to get a blow off tube.

Old 02-10-2013, 05:07 PM   #8
Atonk
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Good news - thanks for the update!

It's pronounced "thermometer."

Quick Reply