Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Blonde ale turned black in secondary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2012, 03:51 AM   #31
odie313
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I brewed a blonde ale kit from morebeer, and it came out much like yours. When did you add your extract ? If you added at the 60 minute mark that may contribute to the color. The beer will be drinkable, it just won't be to style in your mind. If you have BMC friends have them try a few bottles, they will think it's great. That's what mine did.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2013, 02:24 AM   #32
Bantha
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Brewer's Best Imperial Blonde Ale - turned black

I had the exact same thing happen. Brewer's Best Imperial Blonde Ale happens to be the very first batch of beer I've ever attempted, my first homebrew, and I'm perplexed as to why my blonde turned out black. I didn't expect much from my first batch ever, but I figured I screwed something really up to get the entire wrong color. I'm so glad you posted this. My beer should turn out the same as yours, not perfect but not terrible either. I followed all the directions. I was worried that maybe I leached tannins during the steeping process, maybe I oxidized/had a bad seal during the primary (I didn't have much bubbling with the diving-bell airlock I was using on batch 1), or that I messed up something during the move from primary to secondary after waiting just one full week. I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one with this problem on this product and that maybe the ingredients had something to do with it.

Old 09-04-2013, 02:35 AM   #33
Bantha
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

If the picture posts, this is what my beer looks like.

image-9447234.jpg  

Old 09-04-2013, 05:18 AM   #34
GotPushrods
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar_sean
It does have somewhat of a chemically taste in the finish that my wife describe as "ew, plastic." I wouldn't say it tastes like plastic, but it was a chemically taste. I figure I'll let it sit for another couple weeks and try another.
That is most likely the classic chlorophenol from chlorinated tap water. Get some Campden tabs to treat all your brewing water.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:25 AM   #35
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45_70sharps View Post
There isn't consensus on the value of a secondary, but certainly anyone would tell you that the extra few weeks in the primary won't hurt anything.
There's a learning curve to this for sure, but this website is one tool that can shorten the curve.

Lucky for everyone, you can actually make quite a few mistakes and still get pretty good beer.
That helps keep people from being discouraged.
In the pro industry their is no "secondary" per say. It is called a "bright tank" for letting sediment settle out and is often chilled.

I really wish Home brewers would adapt this terminology as this "secondary fermentation" has been misleading for years.

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/denn...9/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Tapro...ook_Repository

Quick Reply