Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > blonde ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2008, 11:17 PM   #1
rjdunlap2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default blonde ale

i just brewed a batch of blonde ale and it looks just like the hefe i did on my last batch will it clear up and get more golden of stay brown

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2008, 11:30 PM   #2
shot0rum247
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That depends a lot on the type of yeast you used in the blonde. The hefe yeast does not flocculate well (settle) so it stays in suspension a lot more than others. What type of yeast did you use for your blonde?

Old 07-31-2008, 11:41 PM   #3
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjdunlap2 View Post
i just brewed a batch of blonde ale and it looks just like the hefe i did on my last batch will it clear up and get more golden of stay brown
Are you just talking about color? If you're using extract and boiling it the full time, you're not going to get the same color as a traditional blonde or hefe. You will need to add the extract later in the boil to get a lighter color.

Old 08-01-2008, 12:44 AM   #4
solidghost
Recipes 

Yes, the late malt extraction addition method.
Works quite well for me. But of course, the colour is still a bit darker.

Old 08-01-2008, 02:50 AM   #5
rjdunlap2
Recipes 

well i got one of those liquid extract kits from my brewshop where i comes with extract, bittering and aroma hops and dry ale yeast and it said to boil extract add bittering hops boil more thatn add aroma hops then put it in the carboy and add the yeast
but i dont see it getting much lighter

Old 08-01-2008, 05:13 AM   #6
waterse
Recipes 

Yes, that happened to me as well. Many of the helpful people here told me that liquid extract brews tend to come out darker than one would expect for the style when making light colored beers. I brewed a belgian wit which should be very light and it came out rather dark amber colored. Tastes great so it's not an issue. You can add much of the LME later in the boil, say about the last 15 minutes to help the brew turn out a little lighter. Also make sure you remove the kettle from the heat when adding the LME and stirring well before putting it back on the heat to avoid scorching.

Old 08-01-2008, 12:40 PM   #7
elkdog
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Keep in mind also that beer in a carboy looks much darker than it will in your glass.

Old 08-01-2008, 01:18 PM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4343 Times on 3158 Posts
Likes Given: 845

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjdunlap2 View Post
well i got one of those liquid extract kits from my brewshop where i comes with extract, bittering and aroma hops and dry ale yeast and it said to boil extract add bittering hops boil more thatn add aroma hops then put it in the carboy and add the yeast
but i dont see it getting much lighter
Like the others mentioned, unfortunately, LME (liquid malt extract) tends to be darker than desired. It still tastes the same as it normally would, but the color is darker. Adding the extract later in the boil helps a bit, but it'll never be the light colored "blonde" you desire, just because even the palest liquid extract is kind of dark.

You can try using dry malt extract (DME), a powder like extract, that comes in "extra light" and adding the majority of the extract with 15 minutes to go in the boil, and that will help the color a lot. If you do that, though, make sure you reduce your bittering hops about 25%, since that will also increase your hops utilization. (You could post it here, and one of us could tell you how much to reduce the hops, based on the recipe).

Also, as someone else said, it will look lighter in the glass than in the carboy, too. Use a sanitized turkey baster and pull out a sample and put it in a glass. It will look a bit lighter.

Quick Reply