Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Blichmann conical advice

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2012, 06:52 AM   #21
Gameface
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 172 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 236

How do you control fermentation temps? Will you be able to control fermentation temps in the 14.5g conical? You're planning to brew 5g batches in a 14.5g conical? If you bottle straight from the conical how will you add priming sugar?

I think you imagine the conical is going to be a better solution than it is probably going to be for you at this time.

I'm going to sing along with the chorus and say that your money could probably be better spent elsewhere. Temp control would be my suggestions, followed by temp control, then maybe kegging, nice brew pot, AG equipment... A conical is a piece of equipment that it seems to me will require a good deal of other equipment to make it a convenience rather than a pita.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 02:38 PM   #22
carter840
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I just read through this thread and honestly I really suggest you rethink this purchase. Unless you just want a shiny bright conical in your home for a conversation piece, this purchase doesn't seem to make any sense. I'm not trying to bash your ideas, but just reading through your posts it seems that you have a lot more to understand and experience in homebrewing before you could reap the benefits of a conical.

I would strongly recommend you put this money towards a nice immersion or plate chiller, and also looking into getting some supplies to start all grain brewing. Not that you couldn't continue to brew extract, but it just seems like once you're spending this amount of money on brewing you deserve the full experience and uniqueness of all grain.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 05:51 PM   #23
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

OK guys, you have successfully talked me out of the conical for now. I've ordered another plastic brewers kit as my other one is too old, don't want to risk ruining a batch, this time I got a set with a plastic better bottle for secondary fermentation. I've also ordered a new heavy duty 6 gallon stainless steel kettle for boiling and a couple ingredient kits. I will get some more experience brewing 5 gallon batches in plastic buckets and maybe try all grain before investing in the stainless conical. I really appreciate all the advice and I'm sure I'll be asking some more questions soon.

Quick Reply