Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Blichmann conical advice

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2012, 06:54 PM   #11
BBL_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 429 Times on 297 Posts
Likes Given: 323

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obliviousbrew View Post
That´s a tall tree, mine can fit inside the conical.
Just use your imagination....

Never Ending Liquid Yeast - How to Farm Yeast and Freeze it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 07:12 PM   #12
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Wow thanks for all the advice. I'm not 100% certain on the conical, but it seems like it would be pretty fool-proof and high quality. I want something easy to sanitize with little room for error and the least amount of human intervention as I've made a bad batch with the plastic buckets in the past that I want to avoid. The less I have to transfer beer around from one container to the other the better. For those that say there are better options, could you please provide a few specific examples of equipment around the same price or cheaper that might be preferable for a newbie than the blichmann 14 gallon conical? I want something that I won't outgrow anytime soon. I like ales and stouts and might try a lager later on, all grain sounds interesting too. Thanks again.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:31 PM   #13
MotorcycleMatt
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by alter View Post
Wow thanks for all the advice. I'm not 100% certain on the conical, but it seems like it would be pretty fool-proof and high quality. I want something easy to sanitize with little room for error and the least amount of human intervention as I've made a bad batch with the plastic buckets in the past that I want to avoid. The less I have to transfer beer around from one container to the other the better. For those that say there are better options, could you please provide a few specific examples of equipment around the same price or cheaper that might be preferable for a newbie than the blichmann 14 gallon conical? I want something that I won't outgrow anytime soon. I like ales and stouts and might try a lager later on, all grain sounds interesting too. Thanks again.
You could just as easily make a bad batch with the conical fwiw. If your sanitation isn't up to snuff then it wouldn't matter. Buckets are great. Easy to clean etc.

I'd take that 700 and put it into more supplies. A new kettle,starter stuff, some kegs, more ingredients etc. A conical won't make better beer, continuing to brew and learn and refine your techniques will though.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:37 PM   #14
Schumed
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 16

My question would be what do you have for equipment currently?

I person don't see any advantage to using a conical to make better beer or making your brew day easier other than to impress friends and families when they see your setup

Like others have said....lots of things to buy before getting a conical

"To alcohol! The cause of... and solution to... all of life's problems,"

Old 12-07-2012, 07:55 PM   #15
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I had purchased a 5 gallon brewing kit that came with a plastic fermenter bucket with airlock, a bottling bucket, plastic siphons, hydrometer, bottle capper, bottle filler and bottling brush. They getting kind of old and not sure if the lid gaskets are perfectly air tight, or if there are tiny scratches from use, etc anymore. I want to start fresh and upgrade to some newer equipment which will last a long time but I think that the big glass bottles would be too hard to clean inside effectively. I really want something that is simple and easy to keep clean that is not plastic and thats when I came a across the conical stainless steel fermenter, which I read can also be used for bottling without having to transfer into another container, also a plus for me. Admittedly I'm a newbie and not sure whats best for me but at this point I'm looking for specific examples of kits or equipment suggestions as I would like to pull the trigger on something soon and start brewing again.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:57 PM   #16
Obliviousbrew
Recipes 

Liked 228 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 168

buy a lot of cornies and a kegging setup them, you can ferment in the kegs.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:05 PM   #17
MotorcycleMatt
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I only use glass carboys, and I don't scrub at all, a nice soak in oxyclean and a good rinse is all I need. I wish I had gotten buckets instead. I suppose you could bottle from a conical but how are you going to mix priming sugar in it evenly? A good tank would be a spiedel tank. Morebeer.com

Old 12-07-2012, 08:08 PM   #18
BBL_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 429 Times on 297 Posts
Likes Given: 323

You didn't mention a brew kettle, chiller or a burner. Do you have a kettle large enough to do full volume boils? How are you chilling? Are you boiling on the stove? I would start by getting a 9 gallon or larger brew kettle. Some kind of chiller and a good burner. This will make your brewing experience much more enjoyable. After that, consider making a cooler mash tun so you can brew all grain. By then you'll be racking up some good experience and will have a better idea of where you want to go from there.

Never Ending Liquid Yeast - How to Farm Yeast and Freeze it.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:21 PM   #19
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have a steel pan that is big enough for a 5 gallon batch that I used to boil the ingredients on the kitchen stove. Then I manually poured that into the fermenter bucket as I recall, sorry, its been a few years since my last attempt. I did not have a cooler or chiller that I've used so far. I do have a temperature gauge on the bucket that I remember it saying to store in a cool place within a certain temperature range, but thats it, nothing fancy.

OK I will research brew kettles and chillers, thanks.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:23 AM   #20
Silentnoiz
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by alter View Post
...I really like the looks of the Blichmann 14.5 gallon conical fermenter, but I'm wondering if its the right choice for me. My price range for equipment is around 700 and the 14.5 gallon with the standard fittings is 640, while the one with the tri-clamp fittings is 860....My question is whether the tri-clamp fittings are really worth a 35% price increase over the same one with standard fittings? Would it make more sense to start with the base model and upgrade later or are the tri-clamps really that great that I need to consider them now? Also can you foresee there being any other major investments required to brew with this thing that I might not already have, other than a bottling gun? At this point I just want to stick to the basics if possible. I have bottle capper,bottles, etc. Thanks!
The big question is: What equipment do you already have? I'd make sure I invested first in (no particular order) a mill, kettles, burners/electric, chiller (CFC/IC), HERMS/RIMS, fittings, hoses, and probably a few other things I'm forgetting. The last thing on my list that I would probably get is a SS Conical, you can make great beer forever with relatively cheap glass carboys.

With that being said, I bought the 14.5 w/tri-clamps. I got a SS Conical for a few reasons (mostly easier to): transfer (closed from fermenter to keg), dump trub, harvest yeast, sample SG/FG, dry hop, add other additions, clean, and because it looks damn cool. I got the tri-clamps because the bottom dump was larger (1" vs 1/2" I think), more comfort around sanitation (on that important side), and I didn't want to regret not having gotten that later on (I don't think you can easily upgrade later if you decide to do so).

I always remember what my grandfather told me: "Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten".

Hopefully that at least gives you some things to think about.

Quick Reply