Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Black water in Aluminum pot?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2008, 05:50 PM   #1
BrosBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Black water in Aluminum pot?

I just got my new aluminum stock pot and first put it in the oven for 30 min at 400. Then decided to boil water in it. The water is black and there is a black layer on the pot.... what the hell? Is this a good thing?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2008, 07:18 PM   #2
Aleforge
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrosBrew View Post
I just got my new aluminum stock pot and first put it in the oven for 30 min at 400. Then decided to boil water in it. The water is black and there is a black layer on the pot.... what the hell? Is this a good thing?
I don't know, I used the alternative method. Boiled water in it first for one hour, dumped it out, then used it. I didn't want the outside changing color!

But in any case hopefully someone can help you out, no idea why the water has a film on top of it and is discolored, I didn't really notice it being that much off from the boiling method.

Old 05-30-2008, 07:37 PM   #3
Brew-Happy
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Default Sounds like oil

This black stuff could be burnt oil from the machining process. Given Taipas did the inverse of your method, the oil would have been gone when he put it in the oven. When you baked it at 400 it would have overcooked the oil residue.

Just a thought.

Old 05-30-2008, 10:01 PM   #4
BrosBrew
Recipes 

Well, when I dumped the water out, the water had some floaties in it but it was clear. It just appeared black because of the black layer that formed on the pot. I did notice an oily film on the surface of the water. Do you think the pot is ruined? Should I return it for my money back?

Old 05-30-2008, 10:08 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

I don't know where anyone heard that you had to "do anything" to a new pot. I've been cooking all my life, and all I've ever done with any new pot/pan is give it a thorough cleaning with soap and water, then use; aluminum, stainless or otherwise.

Unless it was cast iron then it has to be seasoned, but that's a different story....

Just give it a good thorough washing and rinsing....You'll be fine.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-30-2008, 10:13 PM   #6
BlindLemonLars
Conqueroo Brew

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrosBrew View Post
Well, when I dumped the water out, the water had some floaties in it but it was clear. It just appeared black because of the black layer that formed on the pot. I did notice an oily film on the surface of the water. Do you think the pot is ruined? Should I return it for my money back?
It's fine, that dark coating is aluminum oxide. You need it, that oxide coating will help keep your acidic wort from dissolving aluminum into your brew.

I'd just give it a good thorough washing with dish soap and a soft brush or sponge, and rinse it thoroughly. Then it will be good to go. If you want to clean up the outside, Barkeeper's Friend liquid cleanser and a scotch-brite scrubby will do the job.

Old 05-30-2008, 10:24 PM   #7
BrosBrew
Recipes 

Phew, I thought it could be the Al2O3 coating but I thought it was clear not black. Alright, well, I can finally walk again on thursday, (had surgery on the knee) and when dealing with a 170 degree wort I want to be able to handle it with both hands, so that will be the debut of my beer brewing addiction. Thursday cannot come fast enough!!!

Old 05-31-2008, 12:19 AM   #8
Aleforge
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I don't know where anyone heard that you had to "do anything" to a new pot. I've been cooking all my life, and all I've ever done with any new pot/pan is give it a thorough cleaning with soap and water, then use; aluminum, stainless or otherwise.

Unless it was cast iron then it has to be seasoned, but that's a different story....

Just give it a good thorough washing and rinsing....You'll be fine.
This thread has a bunch of debate on the topic and many have suggested "seasoning" the aluminum pot. Thats where I got it from anyways. I have also seen it elseware, If its wrong fill me in. I would rather not waste the time doing it if everyone is just going overboard.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthre...t=49449&page=4

Old 05-31-2008, 12:23 AM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taipans View Post
This thread has a bunch of debate on the topic and many have suggested "seasoning" the aluminum pot. Thats where I got it from anyways.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthre...t=49449&page=4
I betcha most of the people weighing in on the debate never actually COOKED anything before...Just like a lot of the are my hops ruined threads never actually GARDENED before...

Like I said, I've cooked since I was 10...NEVER have I heard anything about doing anything to new pans except clean them, or season them if they are cast iron....

meh
!

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-31-2008, 04:22 AM   #10
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I betcha most of the people weighing in on the debate never actually COOKED anything before...
I'm one of those people and I definitely cook a lot. I always condition my new aluminum cookware to build up that oxide layer. I've purchased pans that recommend it as well so if a manufacturer recommends I'd say there's reason enough to do it.

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Quick Reply