Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Black IPA for a local competition

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2013, 05:48 PM   #1
twistr25
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default Black IPA for a local competition

Wasn't seeing much love over in the recipes forum, hope it's ok I transfer it over to here.

I have a local homebrew competition coming up in June and was thinking about trying a CDA/Black IPA for it. I'm most curious to know if my hop selection will pan out well together, but open to advice anywhere within. Thanks

Title: Dark Skies Black IPA
Author: Jeff Nelson

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: Specialty Beer
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 7.5 gallons
Efficiency: 75% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.062
Final Gravity: 1.017
ABV (standard): 5.86%
IBU (tinseth): 73.52
SRM (morey): 35.06

FERMENTABLES:
11 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (88%)
0.75 lb - German - Carafa III (6%)
0.5 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 80L (4%)
0.25 lb - American - Chocolate (2%)

HOPS:
0.75 oz - Summit for 60 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil (AA 18.5, IBU: 49.93)
1 oz - Citra for 15 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil (AA 11, IBU: 19.64)
0.5 oz - Citra for 5 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Aroma (AA 11, IBU: 3.95)
1 oz - Citra for 7 days, Type: Leaf/Whole, Use: Dry Hop (AA 11)
1 oz - Cascade for 7 days, Type: Leaf/Whole, Use: Dry Hop (AA 7)

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05
Starter: No
Form: Dry
Attenuation (avg): 72%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Temp: 59 - 75 F
Fermentation Temp: 75 F
Pitch Rate: 0.5 (M cells / ml / deg P)

Future: Black IPA Redux, possibly others
2013 Previous: Sunrise Honey Rye Pale Ale, Dark Skies Black IPA, Sunset Orange Kolsch, All Hallow's Eve Pumpkin Ale, Maple Vanilla Brown Ale, Raining Hops and Dogs IPA, Starry Night Vanilla Bourbon Porter

Awards/Recognition
Dark Skies Black IPA - 2nd Place at a local comp. Score of 39 from a BJCP judge

Twistr25 Recipes

GT Keezer Build

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2013, 05:51 PM   #2
Schumed
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 15

does your competition have a black ipa /cda catergory officially? ....I would change your cascade dryhop to citra and use it in your 15 and 5 additions ....I don't care for citra in the boil I get that musk flavor..but love it as a dry hop.

"To alcohol! The cause of... and solution to... all of life's problems,"

Old 04-01-2013, 05:58 PM   #3
twistr25
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 14

It's a free will competition. One of the judges is getting BCJP certified if he isn't already, but that's more for official notes than anything else. Another guy owns a craft beer store and the other is the owner of a restaurant, assuming they have the same people as last time. I just wanted to do something a little different.

so you're saying use all citra for dryhop and cascade for the 15 and 5 additions?

Future: Black IPA Redux, possibly others
2013 Previous: Sunrise Honey Rye Pale Ale, Dark Skies Black IPA, Sunset Orange Kolsch, All Hallow's Eve Pumpkin Ale, Maple Vanilla Brown Ale, Raining Hops and Dogs IPA, Starry Night Vanilla Bourbon Porter

Awards/Recognition
Dark Skies Black IPA - 2nd Place at a local comp. Score of 39 from a BJCP judge

Twistr25 Recipes

GT Keezer Build

Old 04-01-2013, 06:02 PM   #4
conneryis007
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

My most recent black IPA came out great and I attribute much of how it came out to cold steeping the chocolate grains. Use twice as much chocolate to achieve the same color additions. Cold tap water and crushed grains for 24-48 hours. The result is a totally different flavor! Much smoother, less harsh and you get the color you are looking for!

Never underestimate how much assistance, how much satisfaction, how much comfort, how much soul and transcendence there might be in a well-made taco and a cold bottle of beer.

Old 04-01-2013, 06:03 PM   #5
Schumed
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 33 Posts

cool...its just my personal preference with citra. If you want to play it safe...i would do all cascade...can't go wrong...

Or if you someone who likes to experiment split into two fermenters and dry hop differently

"To alcohol! The cause of... and solution to... all of life's problems,"

Old 04-01-2013, 06:06 PM   #6
MidTNJasonF
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I have seen more than a few Black IPA recpies here, in fact I think it is one of the more commonly discussed recipes.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/blac...ck-ipa-387410/
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/blac...e-help-399005/
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/blac...recipe-391392/

Your grain bill is almost identical to mine (first link above) with the exception you are a bit lighter in base male and OG.
I agree with the above poster. Get the Citra out of the boil and move it to dry hop. Love, love, love Citra as a dry hop. I use Centennial and Cascade as my boil hops.
I think the key for a good Black IPA is to use the Carafa III and a touch of chocolate to get that roast character and a nice hop punch (preferably citrus) to punch up that roast and play off it a bit.

Will ride for beer!

Old 04-01-2013, 06:10 PM   #7
MidTNJasonF
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Oh and my above recipe scored high 30's (38.5 average and 37 average) in two recent BJCP competitions. Also scored well in a mock judging session within a local club judge training session.

Will ride for beer!

Old 04-01-2013, 06:15 PM   #8
freisste
Recipes 

Liked 294 Times on 245 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by conneryis007
My most recent black IPA came out great and I attribute much of how it came out to cold steeping the chocolate grains. Use twice as much chocolate to achieve the same color additions. Cold tap water and crushed grains for 24-48 hours. The result is a totally different flavor! Much smoother, less harsh and you get the color you are looking for!
So you steep the grain in cold water a day or two, then throw out that grain and proceed with the rest of the brew as you normally would? I've never heard of the practice, but I am intrigued...

I was planning to do a black IPA this fall for a Christmas present for some IPA lovers, but I have been worried about what they would think of the harshness. This may be just the ticket.

Old 04-01-2013, 06:18 PM   #9
theveganbrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 291 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 265

I know you're not going to style, but they got rid of Black IPA and it's now officially American Black Ale. Being from Cascadia myself, I believe CDA lives on and has different style guidelines. These might help figure out some things for your recipe, going off the notes below:

The two styles are fairly similar, but they diverge in roast and hop aroma. The American Black Ale has a fruity, floral, and herbal hop characteristic with more roast. The CDA would have citrus, Pine, Resinous, Sweet Malt, only hints of roast, toast, chocolate malt or Carafa.

-Retired Homebrewer

Old 04-01-2013, 06:52 PM   #10
conneryis007
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by freisste View Post
So you steep the grain in cold water a day or two, then throw out that grain and proceed with the rest of the brew as you normally would? I've never heard of the practice, but I am intrigued...

I was planning to do a black IPA this fall for a Christmas present for some IPA lovers, but I have been worried about what they would think of the harshness. This may be just the ticket.
Yes strain/squeeze the liquid out of the cold steeped grains and add that to the beginning of your boil! Give it a tiny sip before you add it to the boil (or gently add to the end of your sparge if that makes straining easier for you) and you will be amazed at the flavors chocolate malt can create without 90% of the harshness/bitterness!

Never underestimate how much assistance, how much satisfaction, how much comfort, how much soul and transcendence there might be in a well-made taco and a cold bottle of beer.

Quick Reply