*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Black char on outside of brewpot

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2009, 07:14 PM   #1
Soc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Default Black char on outside of brewpot

Whenever I brew using my turkey fryer the outside of the pot gets a thick layer of black residue from the direct flames hitting the pot. It doesn't do anything to affect the taste or brew process but it sure is a bitch to clean. Does anyone put aluminum foil or anything around their brewpot before turning on the fryer or is there another easier way that I am missing? I am sorry if this has been discussed before, I tried searching but couldn't find anything. Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2009, 07:17 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2734 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

I just ignore it...I don't bother cleaning it or anything. It just means it's well "seasoned" and loved.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-18-2009, 07:19 PM   #3
Soc
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I just ignore it...I don't bother cleaning it or anything. It just means it's well "seasoned" and loved.
Yea but my problem is that I cool it down with an icebath in my basement slop sink. When I put it in the sink a good amount of it comes off and makes it really hard to clean out the sink afterwards.

Old 11-18-2009, 07:20 PM   #4
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector

Recipes 

Liked 2772 Times on 2721 Posts
Likes Given: 121

I think it has to do with your air/propane mixture and the distance from your flame to pot.. Make a CFC

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 11-18-2009, 07:23 PM   #5
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.

Recipes 

Liked 4788 Times on 4400 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
I think it has to do with your air/propane mixture and the distance from your flame to pot.. Make a CFC
Ayup.

Check the throat of the burner for cobwebs and insect parts and adjust the venturi for a nice clean burning flame. The air to gas mix is off somehow and creating the soot.

Old 11-18-2009, 07:32 PM   #6
Grimtas
Recipes 

Pro-Tip:
Take a sponge and smear some straight dish detergent over the bottom and lower 1/3 of the sides. The soot will stick to the detergent and wash right off in the ice bath, or just hose it off prior to the ice bath. Works a champ cooking on open camp fires as well.

Old 11-18-2009, 07:36 PM   #7
WOP31

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
Ayup.

Check the throat of the burner for cobwebs and insect parts and adjust the venturi for a nice clean burning flame. The air to gas mix is off somehow and creating the soot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimtas View Post
Pro-Tip:
Take a sponge and smear some straight dish detergent over the bottom and lower 1/3 of the sides. The soot will stick to the detergent and wash right off in the ice bath, or just hose it off prior to the ice bath. Works a champ cooking on open camp fires as well.
Do both of these. Specially the adjusting of the fuel/air mix. And if you do need to scrub it off anymore, Bar Keepers Friend works wonders.

Old 11-18-2009, 07:41 PM   #8
TeufelBrew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Aww, come on aren't we going to tell him it can't be help and to spend oodles of money to convert to Pol's all electric HERMS?

Seriously Soc, the advice is spot on. Check your mixture, ensure the burner area is clean and unobstructed. If you continue to get soot with the flame burning a nice bright blue, then put some soap on the outside, it will come off easily and help was the inside of the slop sink when your done.

~~~~
That's not a beer gut, it's a liquid grain storage facility!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinksWellWithOthers View Post
You're all wrong. Apfelwein is a time machine and mind eraser combined into one.

Quick Reply