Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Bittering hops question
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2012, 12:18 AM   #1
rickbarbato
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 6
Default Bittering hops question

Just finished my second brew... Only this last one was dif from the first because I had bittering hops... My question (now that it's too late to matter) how can I get rid of the hops pieces before I dump it in my fermenter?

Are u even supposed to get them out? Or can u just use a strainer or something?

Thanks for the help!!!

__________________
rickbarbato is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2012, 12:25 AM   #2
edmanster
Whats Under Your Kilt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
edmanster's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Taylorsville, Utah
Posts: 1,698
Liked 74 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Default

dump everything in!! it all settles and clears up just fine!! i acount for the space and ensure 5.5 gal goes into the fermenter to get 5 gal out.. long primary and keg is all ive done and i get clear beer every time.. just dont let your racking cane dig into your trub and your golden

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadarnell
'how will i explain this to my kids' ... if i have to ask that, then i think my kids are in trouble ... just my 2 cents ... HAVE A BEER !!!
Father of 4 girls

Suffers from Zymocenosilicaphobia
edmanster is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2012, 12:25 AM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 61,052
Liked 4462 Times on 3248 Posts
Likes Given: 868

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickbarbato View Post
Just finished my second brew... Only this last one was dif from the first because I had bittering hops... My question (now that it's too late to matter) how can I get rid of the hops pieces before I dump it in my fermenter?

Are u even supposed to get them out? Or can u just use a strainer or something?

Thanks for the help!!!
You can pour it through a sanitized strainer if you'd like, although I don't bother. It'll all settle out with the trub at the bottom at the end.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2012, 12:33 AM   #4
rickbarbato
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 6
Default

Thanks, settled my nerves I thought I goofed up... I only use one fermenter though. I go straight from first fermenter to bottles. Read a secondary isn't completely needed?

__________________
rickbarbato is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2012, 12:36 AM   #5
edmanster
Whats Under Your Kilt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
edmanster's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Taylorsville, Utah
Posts: 1,698
Liked 74 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickbarbato View Post
Thanks, settled my nerves I thought I goofed up... I only use one fermenter though. I go straight from first fermenter to bottles. Read a secondary isn't completely needed?
correct unless adding fruit or dry hopping or aging etc.. i also move the day before i package so if the trub does kick up it can settle again
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadarnell
'how will i explain this to my kids' ... if i have to ask that, then i think my kids are in trouble ... just my 2 cents ... HAVE A BEER !!!
Father of 4 girls

Suffers from Zymocenosilicaphobia
edmanster is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2012, 12:42 AM   #6
rickbarbato
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 6
Default

Off subject but you guys are very helpful... Moving to priming my bottles, I used one heaping teaspoon and then took the dull edge of a knife to level off the extra... Is this technically a teaspoon or should I of used a heaping teaspoon per 12 ounces?

__________________
rickbarbato is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2012, 12:47 AM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 61,052
Liked 4462 Times on 3248 Posts
Likes Given: 868

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickbarbato View Post
Off subject but you guys are very helpful... Moving to priming my bottles, I used one heaping teaspoon and then took the dull edge of a knife to level off the extra... Is this technically a teaspoon or should I of used a heaping teaspoon per 12 ounces?
Boy, that I don't know. I always dissolve 1 ounce (by weight) of corn sugar per gallon of beer into 2 cups of water and boil it for a minute. Then I put that in my bottling bucket and rack the beer into it. I've never attempted to measure a teaspoonful at a time (what a pain!), so I can't answer that, sorry.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2012, 12:48 AM   #8
edmanster
Whats Under Your Kilt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
edmanster's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Taylorsville, Utah
Posts: 1,698
Liked 74 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickbarbato View Post
Off subject but you guys are very helpful... Moving to priming my bottles, I used one heaping teaspoon and then took the dull edge of a knife to level off the extra... Is this technically a teaspoon or should I of used a heaping teaspoon per 12 ounces?
lol correct measurement is leveled but in cooking i just shake it a little
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadarnell
'how will i explain this to my kids' ... if i have to ask that, then i think my kids are in trouble ... just my 2 cents ... HAVE A BEER !!!
Father of 4 girls

Suffers from Zymocenosilicaphobia
edmanster is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2012, 12:53 AM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 61,052
Liked 4462 Times on 3248 Posts
Likes Given: 868

Default

Just as an aside- I don't use a clearing vessel ("secondary") but to go right from the fermenter to bottles makes it tough. You don't need a clearing vessel, but I rack to a bottling bucket where the priming solution is mixed and all of the hops debris and trub is left behind in the fermenter.

Trying to skip a clearing vessel AND a bottling bucket might make it tough for bottling.

__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2012, 01:00 AM   #10
twistr25
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
twistr25's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,391
Liked 111 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Just as an aside- I don't use a clearing vessel ("secondary") but to go right from the fermenter to bottles makes it tough. You don't need a clearing vessel, but I rack to a bottling bucket where the priming solution is mixed and all of the hops debris and trub is left behind in the fermenter.

Trying to skip a clearing vessel AND a bottling bucket might make it tough for bottling.
+1 to this. If you try to mix in your priming solution in your primary, you could disturb a lot of the yeast on the bottom giving you some pretty cloudy beer, not to mention risk of oxidation. But if you have a separate bottling bucket with spigot, your good to go!
__________________

____________________
Primary: N/A
Bottled: All Hallow's Eve Pumpkin Ale
Kegs: Sunset Orange Kolsch Redux
Future: Black IPA Redux, possibly others
2013 Previous: Sunrise Honey Rye Pale Ale, Dark Skies Black IPA, Sunset Orange Kolsch, All Hallow's Eve Pumpkin Ale, Maple Vanilla Brown Ale, Raining Hops and Dogs IPA, Starry Night Vanilla Bourbon Porter

Awards/Recognition
Dark Skies Black IPA - 2nd Place at a local comp. Score of 39 from a BJCP judge

Twistr25 Recipes

GT Keezer Build

twistr25 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools