Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Bittering Hops & Finishing Hops

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2005, 02:33 AM   #1
Clay
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Bittering Hops & Finishing Hops

Do you put them in a cloth bag or directly into the pot?

The first batch I made had instructions to put them in a cloth bag so I have with my 2nd and 3rd batch but on the last two the instructions didn't say anything about putting them in a cloth bag or not.

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2005, 03:14 AM   #2
Rhoobarb

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

It's strictly up to you. When I did extract and extract with grains brewing, I usually used muslin hop bags, simply for the convenience and ease of clean-up. Now that I'm doing all-grain full boils, I don't bother - I just throw the hops in. I did that with some of my extract brews, too. I should also mention that I have been using whole hop flowers for the last year and a half. Prior to that, I was using pellets.

My only tip would be to make sure and not pack the hops into your hop bag too tightly . You want them loose so that you don't have any dry clumps. You want that wort to saturate those hops and get all the flavor out of them that you can!

Old 08-27-2005, 03:20 AM   #3
timdsmith72
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 5

If you're doing an extract brew, a hops bag is the way to go. No straining to get the hops out, etc...

Quick Reply