Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Birthday Gift Help for my Brewer Boyfriend

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2013, 08:12 PM   #1
Brewersgf
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Birthday Gift Help for my Brewer Boyfriend

Hi Brewers,

My boyfriend just started brewing a little over a month ago. He bought all the supplies he needs for brewing and has already successfully brewed a clone of Zombie Dust (three Floyd's). His birthday is coming up and I wanted to get him a gift to help him continue with this hobby. Since he already has the basic supplies, I am in need if help for ideas! Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thanks all!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2013, 08:16 PM   #2
ICWiener
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 18

How much $$ do you want to spend?

Old 10-01-2013, 08:21 PM   #3
Brewersgf
Recipes 

Looking to spend in $100-$200 range

Old 10-01-2013, 08:23 PM   #4
JBOGAN
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Gift certificate to local home brew shop or online store.Got one last year and it made me very happy.Maybe throw in a nice glass set or something.

Old 10-01-2013, 08:23 PM   #5
Calichusetts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 271 Times on 190 Posts
Likes Given: 740

Gift cards to the homebrew shop where he gets his grains/extract and hops. Best present I ever get and I usually ask everyone for it for every occasion. I just spent my own money ($20) this year on brewing. I think its the best present unless he specifically is asking for something he wants. Some people think gift cards are cheesy but you know your boyfriend, not us...judge for yourself.

Having the ability to brew for "free" for a few month is amazing, in my opinion.

Old 10-01-2013, 08:24 PM   #6
chocotaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 141 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Here's my two cents:

Pretty much every brewer could use a chest freezer or mini fridge if he doesn't already have one. If he has the garage space for it and you have around $100-150 to spend on him I think you can't go wrong.

If you want to go a little smaller, he probably doesn't have an oxygenation system. I've heard good things about the one from Williams Brewing: http://www.williamsbrewing.com/WILLI...STEM-P699.aspx (make sure he doesn't already have an oxygen system first)

A CO2 tank and regulator is also a great multi-purpose tool for brewing. He can use it now for purging his carboys and bottles, and racking under CO2; it's also 50% of the cost of a basic kegging system if he wants to go that route later on. Expect around $150 for the pair at your local brewing shop.

A gift card to the brewing supply shop he visits is also always appreciated (although gift cards are kind of a cop-out as a gift for your SO)

Old 10-01-2013, 08:26 PM   #7
chocotaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 141 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 5

To explain further, personally I think that (especially for a significant other) a gift card is a nice thing, but once he's spent it on supplies it is finished. If you get him a nice piece of kit that he'll use every time he brews, he'll always think of how you got it for him on each brew day for years to come.

Old 10-01-2013, 08:27 PM   #8
Trail
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 79

All of these are great suggestions - but if he's got all that stuff and a decent size place, you might think about getting a multi-line beer tower for his home bar.

Kegged: Scottish Ale
Bottled: Honey Saison
Primary: Honey Steam Pilsner (Still!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
The first step is locating a cheap pasta maker. Are you married? If so you probably got one as a wedding present.

Old 10-01-2013, 08:31 PM   #9
ICWiener
Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 18

If you want to get him a couple things, here are some upgraded items that I bought after getting the beginner's kit. I feel like I can't live without any of them now:

Links are to Midwest, but you can buy from any number of outlets. Make sure to shop around for price.

Copper immersion chiller: http://www.midwestsupplies.com/homeb...immersion.html
Bottle tree: http://www.midwestsupplies.com/45-bo...ying-tree.html
Auto-siphon: http://www.midwestsupplies.com/1-2-auto-siphon.html
Vinator: http://www.midwestsupplies.com/bottl...-sulfiter.html
Stir plate: http://www.midwestsupplies.com/the-v...plate-2-0.html
Erlenmeyer flask: http://www.midwestsupplies.com/2000-ml-flask.html

People Like This 
Old 10-01-2013, 08:34 PM   #10
JBOGAN
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocotaco View Post
Here's my two cents:

Pretty much every brewer could use a chest freezer or mini fridge if he doesn't already have one. If he has the garage space for it and you have around $100-150 to spend on him I think you can't go wrong.

If you want to go a little smaller, he probably doesn't have an oxygenation system. I've heard good things about the one from Williams Brewing: http://www.williamsbrewing.com/WILLI...STEM-P699.aspx (make sure he doesn't already have an oxygen system first)

A CO2 tank and regulator is also a great multi-purpose tool for brewing. He can use it now for purging his carboys and bottles, and racking under CO2; it's also 50% of the cost of a basic kegging system if he wants to go that route later on. Expect around $150 for the pair at your local brewing shop.

A gift card to the brewing supply shop he visits is also always appreciated (although gift cards are kind of a cop-out as a gift for your SO)

Cop out in what fashion??Its not a gift card to Bed Bath and Beyond.Plus it gives the SO some time to drool at all the toys at the LHBS.

Quick Reply