Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Bird Feeder Using Spent Grains?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2013, 06:48 PM   #1
GASoline71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Default Bird Feeder Using Spent Grains?

Now that I started all grain brewing, the wife and I are looking for ways to use the spent grains. We found the dog treat thread and already set some spent grain aside from my first all grain batch for our Yellow Lab. The rest will just go into our compost pile for the garden.

But we found a "recipe" for bird feeders that called for a 1:1 ratio of all natural peanut butter and "seeds or corn meal". Do you cats think that we could substitute some or all of the seeds and corn meal with spent grains? I know wild birds can be subject to digestive problems with human "help", and we don't want to hurt our little avian friends.

I searched the forums and didn't find anything. So if this has ben asked before, maybe a quick link to a different thread would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

Gary

"Brewed Fresh from the North End of Puget Sound"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2013, 06:51 PM   #2
Mcbobs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I don't know how it would work, but it doesn't seem like a bad idea to me at all.

I'm subscribed to see what others think as well. May be a good way to discard lots of grain and keep the dog from ****ting granola bars!

Old 04-06-2013, 06:56 PM   #3
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1852 Times on 1633 Posts
Likes Given: 1324

You could even mix it with melted lard or crisco to make suet bars. Just make sure the fat is cooled,but still liquid. Here's a link for human foods using spent grains; http://brooklynbrewshop.com/themash/...pentgrainchef/

Old 04-06-2013, 06:58 PM   #4
Clonefan94
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 181 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Sounds like a great idea. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this thread. My only thought on it though, would be are we leaving enough nutritional value in the grains when we are done with them? Never thought of it for Dog treats because it's just a treat, but I wouldn't want to fill the birds up with stuff that isn't giving them enough energy. I supposed the peanut butter would be that nutritional additive though.

This would be great if it's a go though.

Old 04-06-2013, 07:06 PM   #5
conneryis007
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I really like making spent grain bread to eat...its pretty darn good (although really doesnt use up much spent grain, unless you eat a ton of bread)

As far as the bird feed goes you would need to dry it somehow. You are going to use a lot of energy drying it in the oven, dehydrator, etc. Spent grain molds really quickly if left soggy!

Never underestimate how much assistance, how much satisfaction, how much comfort, how much soul and transcendence there might be in a well-made taco and a cold bottle of beer.

Old 04-06-2013, 07:09 PM   #6
Clonefan94
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 181 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by conneryis007 View Post
I really like making spent grain bread to eat...its pretty darn good (although really doesnt use up much spent grain, unless you eat a ton of bread)

As far as the bird feed goes you would need to dry it somehow. You are going to use a lot of energy drying it in the oven, dehydrator, etc. Spent grain molds really quickly if left soggy!
With warmer weather coming up in the midwest, I'd probably just be spreading it out on a tarp in the back yard to dry in the sun. If it gets eaten by critters during that process, all the better then.

But yeah, drying the stuff in the oven would probably counteract most of the environmental niceness you are trying to do.

Old 04-06-2013, 07:10 PM   #7
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

There's a recipe in the link for drying it in the oven. I wanna try the spent grain pretzel buns. After you dry the grains for storage,you measure out the amount called for in the bun recipe & grind it into flour in a food processor. I also find it takes quite a bit of sparging to rinse all the goodies out. According to what they say on the page,I think I'm right.

Old 04-06-2013, 07:15 PM   #8
i4ourgot
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by conneryis007 View Post

do you have that bread recipe

Old 04-06-2013, 07:23 PM   #9
GASoline71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
You could even mix it with melted lard or crisco to make suet bars. Just make sure the fat is cooled,but still liquid. Here's a link for human foods using spent grains; http://brooklynbrewshop.com/themash/...pentgrainchef/
I clicked the link and thank you so much! The very last recipe at the bottom of the page is the "how to dry spent grains". Also some of the recipes are great!

It was mentioned earlier about the nutritional value of spent grains for the birds. I am going to get a hold of the WA State Dept of Wildlife and see what one of their biologists say about it.

Gary

"Brewed Fresh from the North End of Puget Sound"

Old 04-06-2013, 07:26 PM   #10
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

That'd be interesting to find out what they know. I saw a video on youtube today where they showed them using it for cow feed. The spent grains from breweries is mixed with corn & hay. All sort of chopped & dumped in long troughs. They say it makes them gain weight fast right before processing.

Quick Reply