Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > BIPA Recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2012, 03:29 PM   #1
rodwha
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Default BIPA Recipe

Black IPA:
5 gal batch
6 lbs Briess pilsen LME
1 lb Bavarian wheat DME
1 lb Carafa II Special (Dehusked)
3/4 lb crystal 60
1/2 lb Special Roast
1/4 lb light DME
1 oz Warrior (13.7%) @ 60 mins
2 oz Cascade (6.2%) @ 20/5 mins
WLP 001

36* SRM, 68.9 IBU's, 5.7% ABV (I usually get higher OG's - up to 0.5% ABV)

I've ordered the malt extracts and hops, but will buy my steeping grains locally.
Any changes or input?

"Anyway on the wall was this sign. People who drink light beer don't really like beer. They just like to piss a lot."

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 06:49 PM   #2
bobeer
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I'd defiantly dry hop since it is an IPA.
Last time I made a BIPA I just used light pilsen dme, Carafa Special III, chocolate malt, crystal 60 and something else I can't remember (I think...) it came out pretty good. You're pretty much right there with your recipe though. IDK about the wheat dme though but it's only a pound so it shouldn't make that much difference imo.

Bottled: Bourbon Oak Brolic Strong ale
On Deck: Stocious Stout

Old 12-07-2012, 06:57 PM   #3
rodwha
Recipes 

What is the difference between Carafa II and III (Special)?

I figured that by adding the aroma hops in the boil it held the aroma whereas it dissipates with time by dry hopping. Although IPA's don't last long around me as they are my favorites!

I've been adding wheat DME since, in the beginning, I was having head retention/lacing problems. I see that Briess adds carapils (?) to their pilsen, which ought to make it unnecessary, but I've just been doing it anyway...

"Anyway on the wall was this sign. People who drink light beer don't really like beer. They just like to piss a lot."

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Old 12-07-2012, 07:36 PM   #4
BryceL
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts

Looks pretty good in general. Boiling the hops will add to the bitterness, not make the aroma stick around longer. I like the 20 minute addition which will add a bit of flavor, aroma, and bitterness. If you can pick up some additional hops, I would also add a 1oz flameout addition and maybe a 2oz dryhop, both cascade.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:56 PM   #5
dickproenneke
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Looks damn tasty! I just brewed up a very similar recipe with warrior, cascade and willamette. I also used 1# carafa II special which produced a very very dark brown wort; not quite black but definitely uber dark. I think that carafa III sp would have made a darker work and contributed a bit more roastiness to the finished beer... After 3 weeks pull a sample and make a determination about DH then. Maybe it'll have plenty of aroma for your taste without the DH. Me personally, I like lots of hop aroma so I plan to DH for 7 days with 1oz each Cascade and Willie.

bottled: Sim'arillo IPA, Stout, BM's Centennial Blonde, Belgian Blonde, Citra'rillo APA, Saison, Mt. Hood Blonde

Old 12-07-2012, 07:57 PM   #6
rodwha
Recipes 

I'm curious about the 1 or 0 min additions. How do you do a 0 min addition? Turn off the heat and add the hop bag, and then what? That's when I add my bulk of LME. I just change those additions to 5 min and take 'em out at flameout.

The 5 min addition just adds aroma correct?

Old 12-07-2012, 08:01 PM   #7
rodwha
Recipes 

I'm budgeted for $70/mo on supplies, though I typically come closer to $90, and so I always try to push 4 brews or additional stuff, and so I forgo the dry hop and just move extra to the 15-20 and 5 min addition.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:05 PM   #8
BryceL
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodwha View Post
I'm curious about the 1 or 0 min additions. How do you do a 0 min addition? Turn off the heat and add the hop bag, and then what? That's when I add my bulk of LME. I just change those additions to 5 min and take 'em out at flameout.

The 5 min addition just adds aroma correct?
Your 5 minute will pretty much just add aroma. You can leave them in while your wort is chilling. Same thing goes if you do a flameout or "0 min" addition, let them steep while the wort is chilling.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:07 PM   #9
rodwha
Recipes 

Ahhh... Cool.
So what is the real difference between adding them at 5, 1, and 0?

Old 12-07-2012, 08:18 PM   #10
dickproenneke
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 12

We are a lot alike in our methods - I like to do late extract too. The 0min addition (or aroma hop steep) is put in at flame out and left to steep. In my case, I like to steep for 30mins then chill the wort. My hop bag(s) stay in the wort while i'm chilling. I pull the bag out while i'm removing the wort chiller. Some people take the bag out before they chill.

bottled: Sim'arillo IPA, Stout, BM's Centennial Blonde, Belgian Blonde, Citra'rillo APA, Saison, Mt. Hood Blonde

Quick Reply