Everything was going so well. Second all-grain with my new mash tun (6th overall). I hit my mash temp perfectly. Hit my volumes perfectly. Hit my OG perfectly. Everything was going so smooth until just after I pitched my yeast and realized that (since I just kicked off a cider batch yesterday) I don't have an airlock!
I managed to rig up a blow-off tube using my siphon tubing (and managed to lose my grommet in the bucket). I think I'm going to pick up a couple of extra airlocks just in case tomorrow.
That happened to me last night. Racked my cider to secondary and pushed the rubber stopper into the carboy. I only had 3 and one of the other ones was on my other cider and the last one was way to big. (It was an 8.5 and I needed a 6.5)
So I went to the LHBS after work today and grabbed a bunch to stock up on.
I used to do that frequently... I just grab an extra airlock and bung everytime I go to the lhbs as insurance. If one gets too nasty I just toss it. I probably have an extra dozen or so in my brewing box, but I don't consider that a bad thing.