Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Big and Easy bottle for Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2008, 09:16 PM   #1
BrewOnBoard
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Big and Easy bottle for Apfelwein

So this, if you haven't seen it before looks like quite the gimmick. A 2L plastic bottle of wort, a yeast tablet. "homebrew". I must admit though the simplicity of the setup is elegant.

Review: The Big and Easy Bottle Brew - Homebrewing - Zimbio

Do you think this would work for small batch apfelwein? Don't get me wrong, I like apfelwein but even 2.5gal seems like a lot! I worry that the cap-pressure-valve-thingy would be too cheap for repeated usage. Anyone seen one and have an idea if this would work?

BrewOnBoard

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2008, 09:35 PM   #2
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

BoB. Very similar in concept at least to Mr. Beer or any of the other small fermenters on the market. 2L of anything doesn't seem like much. If you are really into small batches, maybe a 1 gallon plastic or glass bottle would work better.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:37 PM   #3
Shonuff
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I left my Apfelwein in the carboy for a couple months. I'd be worried about leaving Apfelwein in the Bottle Brew for very long.

If never heard of the Bottle Brew. I wouldn't go out and buy one but it's interesting.

If you are only looking to make a 2L batch look for glass milk containers (I found one in a 2L size that I use for starters). They are like $3.

"Only water I serve has got barley and hops in it." - Lil

Join the #1 HBT group "Michigan Mashers"

Join the #2 HBT group "Pacific Northwest Brewers"

Old 12-10-2008, 09:42 PM   #4
BrewOnBoard
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shonuff View Post
I left my Apfelwein in the carboy for a couple months. I'd be worried about leaving Apfelwein in the Bottle Brew for very long.

If never heard of the Bottle Brew. I wouldn't go out and buy one but it's interesting.

If you are only looking to make a 2L batch look for glass milk containers (I found one in a 2L size that I use for starters). They are like $3.
2L or 1gal glass milk containers are a good lead. Any idea if a carboy cap and it's all important airlock would fit on one of these?

Old 12-10-2008, 11:06 PM   #5
Shonuff
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

In my 2L glass jug the same stopper that fits in my carboy fits in the milk jug. Throw a airlock in there and you're good to go.

"Only water I serve has got barley and hops in it." - Lil

Join the #1 HBT group "Michigan Mashers"

Join the #2 HBT group "Pacific Northwest Brewers"

Quick Reply