Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Big Bottling Day Question -

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2012, 05:57 PM   #1
mikemet
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Big Bottling Day Question -

I have 3 carboys of beer I need to bottle today- only about 8-9 gallons

I did a grav reading on one batch - and its done. Its been sitting about 25-28 days now.

The other 2 however did not get any readings- part lazy- part didnt want to open and disturb anything- you know I have that thing called PATIENCE going.

I think I am going to run them through the hydrometer once- and not again in a few days- cause they have all been sitting at least 3 weeks without disturbance- primary fermentation finished within 3-5 days- kreusen all fell down etc. I cant imagine needing a second reading in 1-2 days to confirm if fermentation is done. These are just regular grav beers-

Any potential harm in just bottling this stuff and giving it a go?

Primary 1 > Funky Dunky w/ Lemon test
Primary 2 > Apfelwein
Primary 3 > Experimental Pale Ale

Bottled > Bellys Belgium-E, Brown Eye PA-E, Pale Ale-E, Guinness -biab, Apfelwein, Funky Dunky Blonde-biab

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2012, 06:07 PM   #2
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 788 Times on 657 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Of course there is potential harm. You might have a stuck fermentation and by bottling it might restart the ferment and get you a bunch of bottle bombs. I'd prefer you to always check the hydrometer before bottling just to make sure it is in the expected range for final gravity.

Old 09-29-2012, 07:11 PM   #3
frazier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 103 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM-MN View Post
Of course there is potential harm. You might have a stuck fermentation and by bottling it might restart the ferment and get you a bunch of bottle bombs.
But, this could be true if you checked gravity also. In theory, there is no way of knowing that a fermentation is "stuck" and about to restart at some random point in time. In practice, this doesn't happen. If it does, there's a reason: change in temp, a blooming infection, new sugar added, etc.

I mean, think about it. If you take multiple readings, and they all show 1.019, is it stuck, or finished? The hydrometer can't answer that question. Go ahead and bottle it.

Quote:
I'd prefer you to always check the hydrometer before bottling just to make sure it is in the expected range for final gravity.
Sure. That's what I do too. But as afar as waiting three or four weeks, then taking multiple grav readings, I say screw that. But I'm probably in the minority.

Cheers!

ETA: Just to be clear, we're talking about an extended primary here. If the question was about a 10 day old batch, I would definitely advise two readings.

~
"Anything worth doing, is worth doing slowly." ~~ Mae West

Old 09-29-2012, 11:00 PM   #4
BrewerBear
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I agree completely. If after 3 weeks or so I check and it is at final gravity I don't bother checking again and I usually don't try to rush a brew to begin with so 3 weeks is pretty quick for me.

Old 09-29-2012, 11:36 PM   #5
mikemet
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Well I bottled the 7 gallons- not the 8-9 I thought. Either way, I took grav readings anyway- the Zest was done I know that. Everything else was in normal range- or even lower than expected- nonetheless- 3 more cases of beer to add to the pipeline

Dunky Blonde Lemon Zest
Hefeweizen
Citra hopped ale

All looks smells and tastes good. Looking forward to 3 weeks from now.

Cheers guys- thanks for talking me off the bottle bomb ledge

Primary 1 > Funky Dunky w/ Lemon test
Primary 2 > Apfelwein
Primary 3 > Experimental Pale Ale

Bottled > Bellys Belgium-E, Brown Eye PA-E, Pale Ale-E, Guinness -biab, Apfelwein, Funky Dunky Blonde-biab

Old 09-30-2012, 12:54 AM   #6
Kahless
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Ooh, they sound delicious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frazier View Post
But, this could be true if you checked gravity also. In theory, there is no way of knowing that a fermentation is "stuck" and about to restart at some random point in time. In practice, this doesn't happen. If it does, there's a reason: change in temp, a blooming infection, new sugar added, etc.

I mean, think about it. If you take multiple readings, and they all show 1.019, is it stuck, or finished? The hydrometer can't answer that question. Go ahead and bottle it.
I use brewing software (online calculators) to give me an estimated final gravity, but not just for added piece of mind.. Makes me feel quite "official"

Quick Reply