The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Big Beers - longer in primary/secondary?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2008, 01:03 AM   #1
Kiwi_Jonno
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Big Beers - longer in primary/secondary?

Hi there,

So far Iv only brewed beers that have been 1036-1045. I typically leave in primary for 2 weeks, then secondary for 2 weeks. Else leave in primary for 3-4 weeks and bottle.

My current beer (porter) was 1062. After 5 days its only 1030 with safale-05 so it might take awhile to ferment. Im wondering if its better to leave an extra week in primary or if that weeks better spent in secondary?

Note, im not going to bottle until at least 2weeks are up and FG 1016ish is reached. Just wondering if its better to leave 3 weeks primary or use that extra week in secondary.

Cheers.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2008, 01:19 AM   #2
xamers
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi_Jonno View Post
Hi there,

So far Iv only brewed beers that have been 1036-1045. I typically leave in primary for 2 weeks, then secondary for 2 weeks. Else leave in primary for 3-4 weeks and bottle.

My current beer (porter) was 1062. After 5 days its only 1030 with safale-05 so it might take awhile to ferment. Im wondering if its better to leave an extra week in primary or if that weeks better spent in secondary?

Note, im not going to bottle until at least 2weeks are up and FG 1016ish is reached. Just wondering if its better to leave 3 weeks primary or use that extra week in secondary.

Cheers.

Keep it in the primary 4 or 5 weeks if needed, IMO*.

*cue autolysis theorists

Old 06-23-2008, 01:24 AM   #3
Kiwi_Jonno
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xamers View Post
Keep it in the primary 4 or 5 weeks if needed, IMO*.

*cue autolysis theorists
If was in primary 4-5 weeks wouldn't be worth doing a primary? Would just bottle afterwards?

Another thought would be 3 weeks primary 2 weeks secondary?

Old 06-24-2008, 01:29 AM   #4
avidhomebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

I would let it sit in primary for about 2 weeks, then rack to secondary and let it finish fermenting/clearing for about another 2-3 weeks. Depending upon the gravity, package at that time or let it sit a few days longer. I have made many big beers (1.080+) using this technique and it works for me.

Old 06-24-2008, 01:41 AM   #5
Dark_Ale
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

1.062 with safale 05 should be a bit lower than that I would think. Unless you are fermenting below 65F.... What temp did you take a gravity reading..... I love that yeast and it ferments like crazy.... 1.030 could be close though....But 1.062 is not that big

Ferment in primary until the foamy head falls
Then go to secondary for 2 weeks Possibly 3 weeks but I doubt it will take that long. The last week raise temp to 70. Good Luck

Old 06-24-2008, 02:59 AM   #6
Kiwi_Jonno
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Ale View Post
1.062 with safale 05 should be a bit lower than that I would think. Unless you are fermenting below 65F.... What temp did you take a gravity reading..... I love that yeast and it ferments like crazy.... 1.030 could be close though....But 1.062 is not that big

Ferment in primary until the foamy head falls
Then go to secondary for 2 weeks Possibly 3 weeks but I doubt it will take that long. The last week raise temp to 70. Good Luck
No I meant the current gravity was 1030, OG was 1062, and its MEANT to go down to 1016.

Safale 05 does seem to be a vigorous fermenting yeast. Though I think the Coopers yeast was the fastest and more vigorous!

Its been one week in primary and still bubbling steadily. Gonna wait a week until I check gravity again.

I pitched @ 71.5*F, but after 12hours it was 64.5*F and has been there since.

Old 06-24-2008, 01:55 PM   #7
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 124 Posts

Leave it in the primary at least until the gravity is stable. Taking it off the yeast cake will only drag out the fermentation. 3-4 weeks in the primary & bottle is probably a good approach for this one. As the fermentation slows down, the yeast will clear.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 06-24-2008, 02:23 PM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
3-4 weeks in the primary & bottle is probably a good approach for this one. As the fermentation slows down, the yeast will clear.
+1 one on this...and then a long period of bottle conditioning.

I know from my porters and stouts that it took 6-8 weeks before I had any decent carbonation in the bottles and they still needed time to let go of the greenishness.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-24-2008, 11:00 PM   #9
Got Trub?
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Another variation would be to bulk condition it in the secondary for 6-8 weeks. That is what I do with my robust porter that starts at 1.062. The only way you can really go wrong is to transfer it too soon from the primary if you decide to do a secondary. That removes your beer from the yeast and as david 42 said will prolong fermentation if it wasn't done and then you don't have alot of yeast to clean up in the secondary.

GT

Old 06-30-2008, 01:55 AM   #10
Kiwi_Jonno
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just an update...

The beer is now 1024 (OG 1062) after 12 days. Its temp is 16*C, am thinking I should perhaps raise it to 18*C now? Its bubbling but very slowly. Its lost 6 gravity points in the last 7 days.

Also, Im wondering what the point of a secondary is when your bottling? Secondary is to clear the beer and let the yeast drop out. But after you prime the beer the yeast starts up again in the bottle, and the yeast multiplys again... wouldn't that 2 weeks in primary just as well be used bottle conditioning?

Lastly, after I rack, I lose about an inch from the fementer. With seconday are you meant to leave an inch behind again?

Thanks

Quick Reply