Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Big Beer/ Long aging

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2008, 05:13 AM   #1
BrosBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Big Beer/ Long aging

So my Honey Oat stout is doing great. It had a SG of 1.070 and I racked it to a secondary today after almost 4 weeks the gravity was astonishingly 1.015!! So my original plan was to leave it in the secondary for a month then let it set in bottles for a month. Does anything really magical happen that month in the secondary considering it was in the primary for a month? Should I got straight to bottle and let it stew there or is there some benefit to storing in a secondary?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2008, 06:04 AM   #2
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I'd say its time to bottle. A month in the primary is a good long time for maturity. Then add the 2ndary for another month. Well the beer should have dropped out a lot of yeast. Bottle the sucker and let it carb. Be generous with time in carbing as it can be a slow go.

The beer will probably drinkable in 2-3 weeks. It may taste hot though. It will be better in 2-4 months and even better after 6 months.

I'd say its one you can let sit for a long time. You'll only kick yourself if you drink it all too early.

BS Nano-Brewery

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Old 08-17-2008, 01:51 PM   #3
Stevorino
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Just to stir up a question-- will too much yeast drop out in 2 months time for priming sugar method to work?

Either way, I'd actually say just throw it in bottles now and skip the secondary all together. You aren't looking for too much clarity with a stout and it's just another step at which you can introduce some contamination.

-Stevorino-_________________________________________
In Keezer:
1. BCS - Wet Hopped West Coast Blaster
2. CYBI - Gordon's IPA Clone
3. BCS - Scottish -80
4. BCS - Specialty Saison (Gold Medal at BMO)
In Process:
1. BCS - Janet's Brown Ale (Fermenting)

Old 08-17-2008, 03:35 PM   #4
elkdog
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevorino View Post
Just to stir up a question-- will too much yeast drop out in 2 months time for priming sugar method to work?

Either way, I'd actually say just throw it in bottles now and skip the secondary all together. You aren't looking for too much clarity with a stout and it's just another step at which you can introduce some contamination.
There'll be plenty of yeast- it really doesn't take many of them to carb up your beer, but it may take a little bit longer for them to get the job done.

Quick Reply