New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > big beer blow up

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2011, 12:03 PM   #1
bigben24
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default big beer blow up

so. first fermentation explosion. high gravity honey wheat wort. fermenting for 24 hours, buddies wife reported hissing while we were at work, he returned home to a full explosion. the top was literally 10 feet away from the bucket.

seems like we have only lost a top layer of foam to the walls and ceiling. im sure there has to be some hop oil and residue in there though.

so we recapped it, and its back to normal fermentation.

the question is: How much if any flavor or activity have I lost here? will my final product be at all comprimised?

thanks.

I dont know much, but i know i love brew... and that may be, all i need to know...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2011, 12:14 PM   #2
FrewBrew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Should be fine. If you had that much activity you should have had plenty of krausen to protect the beer from any nasties. Close it off; rdwhahb

Primary: 5 gal. Stout
Secondary: 10 gal. Belgian Witbier
On tap: IPA
Ready to brew: 10 gal. Fat Tire clone

Relax, don't worry, Have a Frew Brew

Old 03-26-2012, 04:06 AM   #3
booherbg
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

how much headroom did you have? I have a 3gal batch brewing in a 6.5gal fermenter, and now you all have me worried (wheat + honey + wheat yeast)

Old 03-26-2012, 04:42 AM   #4
BrewScout
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by booherbg
how much headroom did you have? I have a 3gal batch brewing in a 6.5gal fermenter, and now you all have me worried (wheat + honey + wheat yeast)
No need to worry. You have more than enough headspace. I brew 5.5 gal batches in a 6.5 gal bucket and the closest i've come to blowoff is a clogged up airlock. If you are still paranoid, take off airlock, shove tubing into grommet, place other end in a container with some starsan. RDWHAHB!

Conserve water, Drink beer!

Old 03-26-2012, 05:19 AM   #5
McGreen
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewScout View Post
No need to worry. You have more than enough headspace. I brew 5.5 gal batches in a 6.5 gal bucket and the closest i've come to blowoff is a clogged up airlock. If you are still paranoid, take off airlock, shove tubing into grommet, place other end in a container with some starsan. RDWHAHB!
With very active yeast, I have to use a blowoff tube every time. The airlock diffuser is trash now for me.

But seriously, TS, where are the pics???

Sláinte!

Currently working at the Port Jeff Brewing Co. in Port Jefferson, NY - check us out on the web:
www.portjeffbrewing.com

FV 1: Imperial Stout
FV 2: Irish Red (Secondary)
FV 3: Empty

Kegged: Oatmeal Stout, Christmas Ale, Pumpkin Ale

Bottled: Irish Stout, Hefeweizen, Blueberry Hefe, Belgian Style Summer Ale, Guinness Clone, American Light, Irish Red, Whiskey-Barrel Stout, Honey Stout

On Deck: Kolsch-Style Lager

Quick Reply