Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Big batch yeast starter question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2013, 04:48 PM   #1
masampson
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Big batch yeast starter question

Hey all, I was recently approached at my workplace to brew a large batch of a 5 gal batch I made a few weeks ago that some people took a liking to. Our brewery has a 3BBL system, but I just wanted to get some opinions from anyone who has dealt with a system this large before. I know it all depends on the gravity of the beer, etc. etc. and I have no problem doing the math for the increased grain bill (I use beersmith) but the yeast leaves me slightly boggled.

I checked out Mr. Malty to see what the old yeast calculator had to say, and suppose my beer had an OG of 1.066, and my beer is 3BBL I would need around 28.5 gallons of starter. Does this sound right? Obviously I would need to step it up (I was planning on getting like 10 packs of Wyeast Northwest Ale) but I didn't know if this massive amount of starter seemed about right to someone who has done large scale brewing. Any help would be great, and if you need more info I can hopefully provide it!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 08:54 PM   #2
theveganbrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 291 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 265

Might need to head over to Probrewer forum. http://discussions.probrewer.com/for...-Message-Board

-Retired Homebrewer

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply