Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > BIAB Equipment question - Turkey fryer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2011, 03:26 AM   #1
Coloradobrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default BIAB Equipment question - Turkey fryer

I need to start off by saying that I am cheap! I have been brewing partial mash for years. But, I have wanted to improve my brew by going all grain. But my perceived complexity of the process and equipment requirements have always stopped me. Also, remember I am cheap, equipment costs more money!

So, I have a basic question related to BIAB. I was able to get a turkey fryer with a basket from Sams. It is a 36 quart fryer. The BTUs are adequate to get a boil. But, I am not sure that 36 quarts is large enough for a 5 gallon batch of beer.

Is 36 quarts large enough, or should I return the fryer and keep brewing partial mash until I find a bigger pot???

Thanks for any info that will help me get started on BIAB.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2011, 03:36 AM   #2
lumpher
Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 15

36 qts is 9 gallons, so yes, it should be plenty, as most people do 5g in 28-30 qt pots.

Taps:
1: Yeti RIS clone
2: Mangrove Hefe
3: Barkshack Gingermead
4: Oatmeal Stout
5: Bavarian Wheat
6: Premium Lager

Fermenting: Concord Wine, ESB

Old 09-03-2011, 04:02 AM   #3
Mermaid
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Hell yeah it's big enough! Also, since it's the end of summer, see what you can do to pick up parts to build yourself a mash tun.

I am not the most mechanically inclined human on these forums, but I can do simple stuff like oh... brew beer, knit a scarf, put together Ikea furniture, do basic home repairs, and I built a mash tun!

BIAB is a GREAT place to start, but lifting a bag of heavy wet grains and waiting for the drip drip drip gets old. You could probably pick up a 10 gallon water cooler on sale at your local home improvement store, and the hardware isn't too hard to come by either.

Really... it's a lot easier than it seems and will make your AG experience seem SO much easier!

-------------------------
Primary: Empty
Secondary: Empty!
an empty fermenter is a sad fermenter
Bottled: Nut brown ale, Bink blond clone (she's a bitter Belgian!) Belgian Wit, several other tasty beers that have since been consumed!
On deck: TBD

Old 09-03-2011, 04:31 AM   #4
Brewitt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I did my last BIAB in a 36 qt pot and it worked out fine. However, I did a batch sparge in 2 gal after using 6.5 gal for the mash. I have to tell you that if you are making a high gravity brew, the amount of grain you need and the amount of water lost to the grain makes for a lot of volume. Mine was a 8% IPA. The sparge was to avoid too much volume. So, for a full volume mash, 10 gal is better . All that said, I am working with a 7 gal and a 5 gal pot and I make it work. Looking for a nice 10 gal stainless pot for the future. Or, I might convert the keg I have sitting in the garage.

Old 09-03-2011, 04:45 AM   #5
starrfish
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I run a 40 but 36 is plenty big. put a $20 weldless drain valve on there and you'll be gold

“Son, you are a walking violation of the laws of nature, but you’re lucky, we don't enforce them laws.”

Quick Reply