Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Chance to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > The better yeasts?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2012, 03:58 PM   #1
dochockin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default The better yeasts?

I live in an area with limited selection for homebrew ingredients, and being in Canada shipping (especially across the border) is crazy expensive or impossible. Perhaps, with time and experience, I'll start raising my own yeasts or befriending a brew pub brewmaster an hour south of home. At this point, however, I'm stuck with whatever dry yeast packs I can find in the shops.

As a newbie brewer, which brands of dry yeast are the better ones, and which brands should be avoided at all costs? FWIW, I'm a North West style IPA fan, and will stick to brewing IPAs for the foreseeable future.

Cheers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2012, 04:10 PM   #2
BrewerinBR
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 42

I normally use liquid yeast and the only dry yeast I have used is Safale us05 and Saflager S23 and both are excellent. US-05 makes a great Centennial IPA.
You can always harvest yeast from some of your favorite craft beers, I do that a lot.

I seek not a hobby to fill my time; I seek a passion to fill my life!

Basement Brew Room Build:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/base...-house-247971/

"Shame on the man of cultivated taste who permits refinement to develop into fastidiousness that unfits him for doing the rough work of a workaday world." -Theodore Roosevelt

Old 09-17-2012, 04:20 PM   #3
RmikeVT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Safale S-05 is one of my favorites. Folks say it is the Chico Strain (Same as WLP-001 & WYEAST 1056 which are both liguid)

Nottingham if you can ferment at lower temps (60-65) this a high and fast attenuation that has great flocculation properties.

Safale S-04 is a favorite for a lot of people, but I had one bad experience with it, but definitely my fault as my ferm temps where too high. I will use again but will definitely keep my temps real low.

Quick Reply