Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Best way to store your equipment

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2012, 02:44 AM   #1
Matt3989
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Best way to store your equipment

Okay, so as a new brewer I'm struggling with the best way to store all my new equipment. I'm just wondering if anyone has any good ways to keep all of their neat and out of the way. Bottles, equipment, chemicals, grain/ingredients, anything really.

So anyone that has a good setup, post it on here so I can mercilessly steal your ideas.

Right now, my storage is just keeping my two glass carboys in milk crates, all of my tools in my bottling bucket, ingredients are everywhere, and my bottles are in random 6pack cases.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2012, 02:58 AM   #2
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 819 Times on 568 Posts
Likes Given: 62

As long as the stuff in your bottling bucket isn't metal or scratchy, you've got the right idea - consolidate and store stuff inside other stuff.

And milk crates are awesome. I bought 12 of them a while ago. Each holds 23 bottles (some guys fit 24 in a crate, but I can't figure out how to do it) and they stack. I have all my packaged beers in crates stacked four high. Really efficient storage.

Old 09-28-2012, 03:43 AM   #3
coolharry
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I got a large rubbermaid tote (stole it from SWMBO really) to keep most of my equipment in and a small frosting bucket (maybe 1-2 gallons) for really small stuff like airlocks/stoppers/spigots inside the tote as well. Mostly everything fits in there except the big stuff.
Buckets stacked together, better bottles hung upside down from the ceiling, clean bottles on one side of the bench in old cardboard cases, "dirty" bottles on the bench in six pack holders, full bottles in the cellar along with the fermenting beer, grains in old 5ish gallon frosting buckets with Gamma lids stacked up on the side wall. Kettle/MLT/burner all stays in the garage so I don't have to carry it up from the basement every time. Hops and yeast in a rubbermaid container in the fridge.
It's constantly evolving though depending on equipment and ideas I get from here. After a while you'll figure out what works best for you.

Old 09-28-2012, 04:33 AM   #4
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 244 Times on 185 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I found the closet under my staircase makes for excellent brewing storage and fermenting during summer since its dead center in the house with no windows.

That said once i get my garage clean im storing more out there, my stash is getting too big.

Old 09-28-2012, 05:14 AM   #5
jestmaty
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Anywhere that doesn't piss off your wife/girlfriend/sig other!

Old 09-28-2012, 05:25 AM   #6
Hackwood
Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Brewer's Best boxes!!!!!!!

I have 1 that is for bottle caps and priming sugars and another with hydrometers, thermometers, StarSan, Bottle cleaners etc etc.

I am lucky that SWMBO gave me the living room and dining room for my "Brewery"! It fits the "Lager fermenter", Beer Fridge", Ale ferment area(old coolers), fish tank(55 gallon freshwater), bar area and bottle aging chamber.

Those boxes that Brewer's Best Extract kits come in are REALLY GOOD boxes!

Fermenting - Nothing.
Lagering - Nothing.
Secondary - Nothing.
Bottle-aging -Nothing.
In the Fridge - Brian's Best Bitter

Old 09-28-2012, 05:34 AM   #7
BrewinHooligan
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1135 Times on 719 Posts
Likes Given: 1303

The picture is sideways, but this is what I did for most of my stuff in the garage. The storage under my stairs is where I ferment with a swamp cooler and store conditioning beer inside a large rubbermaid tub to contain messes should a bottle decide to go boom.

forumrunner_20120927_213104.jpg

Old 09-28-2012, 07:11 PM   #8
Trokair
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Once again the shining light of why I live alone but own a single family home. I store bottles, pots, and carboys in the basement. Tools, airlocks, grain bags, grain, corn sugar, sanitizer, etc, all live in the kitchen cabinets. Life is grand.

Good beer is a thing worth striving for. Mistakes will be made, but rest assured that the end result is well worth the effort.

Old 09-28-2012, 07:26 PM   #9
HeadyKilowatt
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 33

These kinds of organizers with drawers are cheap, don't take up much space, and are perfect for storing hydrometers, thermometers, stoppers, airlocks, hops socks and all the other little stuff you have.

organizer.jpg  

Old 09-28-2012, 08:03 PM   #10
SixStrings
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I'm currently using the box that my last bottling bucket and other misc stuff was shipped in as well as a couple small plastic totes. Doesn't take up too much space and everything stores away neatly. My only real problem is what to do with all the beer bottles after I've cleaned them. Looks like I may have to invest in some milk crates!

Quick Reply