The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Best way to stop fermentation for backsweetening?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2013, 08:21 PM   #1
jkbrewski
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Best way to stop fermentation for backsweetening?

I am brewing a hard cider. I want to backsweeten when it hits my desired %ABV. How do I backsweeten it without having the yeast breakdown the sugar. I want a sweet carbonated hard cider.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 08:38 PM   #2
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Are you planning on kegging it?

If you are, then it's easy. Ferment it out as dry as it'll go. Backsweet it with whatever you want, and then keg it and keep it cold. It won't ferment out anymore, especially if you let it clear out nicely and do a good racking job.

If you are bottling it, then you will need to ferment it out, back sweeten it, and figure out what you want in volumes of co2 for carbonation. You can simply over sweeten it, and allow the yeast to eat that, and get the carbonation you want. You'll have to try them periodically until you are happy. Once happy.....

From there, you have a couple.. well, mainly 2 options.. Pasteurize them, or keep them ALL cold, ALL the time.

Pasteurizing is probably the best bet, but it can also be a bit of work as well.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Old 01-11-2013, 03:52 AM   #3
alexroussos
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbrewski View Post
I am brewing a hard cider. I want to backsweeten when it hits my desired %ABV. How do I backsweeten it without having the yeast breakdown the sugar. I want a sweet carbonated hard cider.
Here's everything that comes to mind. Plenty of info out there on these techniques so I won't go into detail.

No keg required:
- non-fermentable sweetener (sucralose, stevia, etc)
- pasteurize (see sticky post on this forum)
- store in fridge to stop fermentation
- backsweeten in the glass (stir in a spoon of simple syrup/honey/apple juice concentrate)

Keg required to force carbonate:
- potassium sorbate
- sterile filtration
- centrifuge (used by commercial breweries)

Quick Reply