Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > best way/place to store hops?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2012, 04:09 PM   #11
WharfRat
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by WharfRat

I use a vacuum sealer. Usually it won't reveal the oxygen barrier bags, so I just put the remainder of the foil bag into a larger vacuum bag and seal it all up. Works like a charm!
Reveal = seal. Dyac. I need to figure out how to edit posts!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2012, 05:56 AM   #12
DeadGuyNick
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

What about those of us without vacuum sealing capabilities? Just brewed today. Ended up rolling up the foil bags and putting them in freezer bags, then pushing out as much air as I could. Will this work long term?

Old 08-27-2012, 11:17 AM   #13
Cordane
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadGuyNick View Post
What about those of us without vacuum sealing capabilities? Just brewed today. Ended up rolling up the foil bags and putting them in freezer bags, then pushing out as much air as I could. Will this work long term?
Not long term, really. But, it should keep until your next brew day, assuming you're not waiting for months to brew again. Keep them frozen. Also, if you have CO2, that can help you get the oxygen out of the bags.
Fah - a long way to the store!
So - I'll have another beer!
La - ... um... la la la la la laaaaa!
Ti - No thanks, make it a beer!
And that brings us back to Do!
Cordane's Rolling Kegerator (Image Intensive!) - 23 kinds of awesome!

Old 08-27-2012, 02:51 PM   #14
zeg
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadGuyNick View Post
I'm in the same boat as you. What I've done is roll up the foil as well as I can, then put it in a freezer bag with the air squeezed out. Then I put that in another freezer bag. It's not ideal, but I expect it will do well enough for my needs. It's been ok over a few months so far.

If not for the longer term, well, I can buy a lot of hops in smaller increments before an investment in a vacuum sealer would pay off for me. I don't have any other uses for it.

Old 08-27-2012, 03:13 PM   #15
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2265 Times on 1973 Posts
Likes Given: 1699

About the only time I have parts of hop pouches left is when I'm saving the remainders for dry hopping the batch they were used in. I fold ofer the open end,then use packing tape to seal it up,squeezing out as much air as I can. Then into a zip lock freezer bag with the air squeezed out of it. Then into the large zip lock freezer bag(s) I keep on the top shelf of the freezer. Works well.

Old 09-01-2012, 02:08 AM   #16
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 305 Times on 271 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Per BeerSmith (Hop Age function):

Citra hops (25% HSI), 12% AA

Stored vacuum packed in freezer for 1 year would end up at 11.41% AA (or a 5% reduction of alph acids).

Stored in plastic bag in freezer for 1 year would end up at 10.85% AA (or a 10% reduction of alpha acids)

Vacuum packaging is better (half the loss of the plastic bag), but it is the cold temperature that is the key. There is no real problem storing them if you don't have a vacuum sealer.

I usually break my orders down to 6 ozs packages that I vacuum pack. The opened pack gets sealed using the re-usable zip-lock vacuum bags (with the little hand pump) .... it's way easier than pulling out the big vacuum sealer.

HSI = Hop stability Index, or the amount of AAs the hops would loose if left in the open at 70 F for 6 months.

Old 09-01-2012, 05:24 AM   #17
zeg
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calder View Post
HSI = Hop stability Index, or the amount of AAs the hops would loose if left in the open at 70 F for 6 months.
Interesting. Is the 25% number you quoted for citra typical among hops?

That's very encouraging, actually.

Old 09-01-2012, 05:29 AM   #18
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 305 Times on 271 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeg View Post
Interesting. Is the 25% number you quoted for citra typical among hops?
The HSI number varies with the hop, and generally ranges from 15% (for something like Cluster) to 50% (for something like Cascade). Most are probably in the range of 25% to 40%.

Old 09-01-2012, 06:39 AM   #19
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1714 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadGuyNick
I believe you can use an iron to reseal those bags. There won't be a vacuum, but it'll still limit oxygen exposure.

Old 09-01-2012, 06:03 PM   #20
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2265 Times on 1973 Posts
Likes Given: 1699

I've also used a trick I learned from my mother. Stick a straw in the zip lock bag ?& zip it up to the straw. Then suck out all the air & zip shut while pulling out the straw. Works even better.

Quick Reply