Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > best way to get a gravity sample post boil?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2013, 08:41 PM   #1
arborman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Default best way to get a gravity sample post boil?

Whats the best way to get a gravity sample post boil? Will all the wort in the kettle give me the same reading after I have chilled it, or does it need to be stirred a bit to get it even?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 08:50 PM   #2
norsk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I usually take a reading near the end of the boil just to make sure it's where it is supposed to be. I take out 1 cup, cool it in a small stainless steel bowl set inside a larger stainless steel bowl filled with ice water and it is down to 60 in less than a minute. Shouldn't need to be stirred after it is chilled... though you could always wait till after you aerate it to make sure...

veteransforpeace.org

VALHALLA BREWERY

Old 02-10-2013, 10:32 PM   #3
arborman
Recipes 

Thanks for the advice.. So, what I ended up doing was just drop my thief (sanitized) in the kettle when I had it down to around 70.

My OG was supposed to have been 1.064, but I got a reading of 1.045. How could I have been this low? It was my first all grain batch, not sure if that has anything to do with this, but I will be bummed if this really is the gravity. Any ideas?

My gravity pre boil came in at 1.049 in about 8 gallons of wort. Based on the calcs I did, the efficiency came out to 82.37, or 30.7 PPG. Do these numbers jive with my OG? Is it possible the OG reading is not correct?

Old 02-10-2013, 11:02 PM   #4
Clonefan94
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 188 Times on 126 Posts
Likes Given: 46

One of the readings is incorrect, either pre-boil or post-boil is way off. Now way the gravity would go down during the boil.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:19 AM   #5
arborman
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clonefan94 View Post
One of the readings is incorrect, either pre-boil or post-boil is way off. Now way the gravity would go down during the boil.
Thats good news.... I had a feeling my post boil gravity was way off. I was pretty certain I read the hydrometer right both pre and post, but I have had similar issues post boil with readings. I did get lots of sediment into my reading jar post boil, could that of had anything to do with it?

Old 02-11-2013, 02:07 AM   #6
norsk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Your pre boil gravity of 49 should have brought you close to 60 or so... depending on how much you boil off. Some just continue to boil until they reach their goal (67), and some just add DME to make up the difference. Lots of variables in the mix... crush, mash temp, sparge technique etc. It gets easier once you get used to your specific system. Good job so far.

veteransforpeace.org

VALHALLA BREWERY

Old 02-11-2013, 02:16 AM   #7
eric19312
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 9

A refractometer - about $30 On Amazon - is a great way to get all your pre fermentation gravity readings. Need about a quarter teaspoon sample. Pick it up with a medicine dropper from the boil or a sanitized medicine dropper or spoon post chill. Some temperature dependence but the sample is so small that temp equal rates to room temp very quickly.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:24 AM   #8
cluckk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 350 Times on 226 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I usually sample during the transfer. There is no need to stir for the reading because the entire time your wort was boiling convection constantly stirred it. The break will precipitate down and you don't want to read that anyways. After cooling, I use an autosiphon and send the first portion into my sample tube for my hydrometer. Of course, Now I have refractomer (best investment I made for brewing ease) and simply place a couple drops on the collection pane.

"So you say you just brewed your first batch of beer. Welcome to the obsession." --me, to every first time brewer I ever meet.

Quick Reply