Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > best way to convert partial boil recipes to Full boil

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2012, 01:48 AM   #1
bacchusmj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 4 Posts

Default best way to convert partial boil recipes to Full boil

Alright, this year Im gonna start doing full boils. But most of the beer I brew comes from kits provided from the LHB or sites like NorthernBrewer. I plan on changing my boil volume to about 5.75 - 5.8 gallons to handle the boil-off. However, the hops amounts have me worried.

I understand that with full boils you get better hop utilization. Therefore I would assume you need less hops that the partial boil kit would require. So... is there a rule of thumb or a calculation or a program that will help me redesign my hopping amounts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 01:57 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4343 Times on 3158 Posts
Likes Given: 845

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacchusmj View Post
Alright, this year Im gonna start doing full boils. But most of the beer I brew comes from kits provided from the LHB or sites like NorthernBrewer. I plan on changing my boil volume to about 5.75 - 5.8 gallons to handle the boil-off. However, the hops amounts have me worried.

I understand that with full boils you get better hop utilization. Therefore I would assume you need less hops that the partial boil kit would require. So... is there a rule of thumb or a calculation or a program that will help me redesign my hopping amounts?
In short, don't worry. The difference is negligible, and it's not boil volume that determines utilization anyway. It used to be thought so, but recently that's been disproven. You can just go ahead and hop according to the recipe for almost all recipes. If it's a super low IBU recipe (say, a light lager), dropping the bittering hops only by 20% may be needed, but that's the exception and not the rule.

Old 12-12-2012, 02:01 AM   #3
bacchusmj
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 4 Posts

thanks yoop. I very seldom brew low IBU beers so that shouldnt be an issue.

Quick Reply