The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Best way to age for extended period

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2012, 05:38 PM   #11
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 171 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I know in winemaking it is always preferable to age in bulk. If you are still trying to get anything from the trub (chocolate, fruit, whatever) then aging in bulk is required.

Once all of the yeast and late addition results are as you wish, rack into an aging vessel that you can purge all the headspace from...carboys work, kegs are better.

When I age in kegs I actually begin carbonation at the same time using low pressure, it makes flavor sampling a little more accurate for me.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2012, 08:00 PM   #12
dcp27
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I prefer bulk. I split a batch of barleywine a few years ago. half went onto secondary for a few months, the other half aged in bottles. i thought the bulk aged portion was much better faster. after about a year i couldnt tell much difference tho. bulks nice cuz it keeps you from sampling too much too

Old 04-30-2012, 10:01 PM   #13
Akavango
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 8

So i did the test between the 3 version of the same batch of beer bottled at different times.

It was hardly noticeable but the beer that was aged 15 weeks before being bottled won. After that the one that was bottled out of the primary after 7-8 weeks was a close second and the one that was aged 22 weeks in the secondary and in the bottle for 2 months. But really it was so closed and I guess if I did this test in another 2 months I would be hard pressed to pick one as the best.

To be sure it was a blind test with 2 friends. We all picked the 15 weeks old beer as the best. Result were divided between the other 2.

I guess it is easier to get the beer to age in the secondary because when it is in the bottle it can just be to tempting to drink.

3803L brewed since August 2011.

Quick Reply