Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > best time to swap blowoff tube out for airlock

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2011, 04:10 PM   #21
runningweird
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 47

The water was starsan water and wasn't too disgusting so I drank it anyway....still makes me cringe though.

My 6 Tap Long Draw Tower Build:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/long...-tower-271578/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2011, 06:34 PM   #22
ozzy1038
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have begun using fermcap. It eliminates the need for a blowoff tube.

Primary: Hopped Up Brown

Bottled: Litehaus Wheat, Orange APA, Rauchbier, Willy's Cream Stout

Kegged: Tank 7 Clone renamed "Le Ferme" (dryhopped cascade, sorachi), Caramel Amber Ale, Trout Bum APA, 3 Dogs APA

Gallons Brewed Since June: 53.5

Old 11-01-2011, 07:42 PM   #23
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2701 Times on 2092 Posts
Likes Given: 346

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy1038
I have begun using fermcap. It eliminates the need for a blowoff tube.
Doesn't that stuff contain silicone though? It always seemed kind of chemi to me... I've honestly never used it though

Old 11-01-2011, 08:46 PM   #24
deezy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I leave the blow off on the entire fermentation; no need to swap it unless you need it for another batch. However, I would recommend switching it for an airlock before cold crashing or as others said it will suck back into the fermenter DOH lesson learned.

Old 11-03-2011, 12:49 AM   #25
doublehaul
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 13

thanks for all the responses. the bloop bloop noise doesn't really bother me, it bothers my wife... I am half deaf but I can hear it in the kitchen from our bedroom - probably the tile floor in the kitchen intensifies it. but you talked me into it - i'm not touching it. at least for 2 1/2 weeks, and then I will rack to a secondary (if the specific gravity has not changed for several days) for dry hopping for 3-5 days, and then bottle, ideally at 3 weeks. i am just trying to go off of all of the great advice I've received off of this forum. I want to try a secondary this time because shoving hops into the primary last time was a mess. does this sound like an alright plan?

Old 11-03-2011, 03:27 AM   #26
crazyseany
Recipes 

Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Doesn't that stuff contain silicone though? It always seemed kind of chemi to me... I've honestly never used it though
OT: I love silicone

Old 11-03-2011, 03:46 AM   #27
cullen
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

I've never used a blow-off, though I did make a batch of barley wine once that could really have benefited by it.

Old 11-03-2011, 06:32 AM   #28
subliminalurge
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublehaul View Post
thanks for all the responses. the bloop bloop noise doesn't really bother me, it bothers my wife... I am half deaf but I can hear it in the kitchen from our bedroom - probably the tile floor in the kitchen intensifies it. but you talked me into it - i'm not touching it. at least for 2 1/2 weeks, and then I will rack to a secondary (if the specific gravity has not changed for several days) for dry hopping for 3-5 days, and then bottle, ideally at 3 weeks. i am just trying to go off of all of the great advice I've received off of this forum. I want to try a secondary this time because shoving hops into the primary last time was a mess. does this sound like an alright plan?
Once "high krausen" has come and gone, you can safely switch from a blowoff to an airlock. The "danger zone" has passed by then.

Old 11-03-2011, 05:13 PM   #29
djfriesen
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I always use a blowoff. No extra effort, and all the extra security in the world. They are different versions of the same concept, and I can't figure out why one is "nooby" and the other isn't. Every fermentation is different, and I refuse to run the risk of having to wash krausen spackle off my ceiling, when it is SO easy to prevent.

Old 11-03-2011, 06:14 PM   #30
joelmole
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I cold crashed once with an airlock on and still had liquid pulled into the fermenter, though it's a small amount. I haven't tried cold crashing since then, but when I do it again, I'm only using sanitized foil over the carboy mouth from here on out. Bactera and wild yeast just aren't going to crawl up and around the foil to get into your beer, possibly a fruit fly could I guess.

I always leave my blow-off on for the duration of the brew. There's really no reason to change it out for an airlock, unless it's something that you're bulk aging / lagering for a really long time.

Quick Reply