Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > best time to swap blowoff tube out for airlock

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2011, 03:47 AM   #1
doublehaul
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default best time to swap blowoff tube out for airlock

I have a blowoff tube setup - and have had no blowoff at 15 hours in, with a 6.5 gallon carboy. I would like to swap it out for an airlock so I don't have to listen to it going bloop...bloop. Is there an ideal time to do this?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2011, 03:59 AM   #2
kh54s10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 606 Times on 514 Posts
Likes Given: 163

I would wait until you were absolutely sure the krausen will not reach the airlock.

You must have really good hearing, or the carboy is in your bedroom, if that little bloop bloop bothers you.

The last time I traded out my blowoff tube was because I needed for the next batch, otherwise I would have left it.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:09 AM   #3
ozzy1038
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I leave mine on the whole time.

Primary: Hopped Up Brown

Bottled: Litehaus Wheat, Orange APA, Rauchbier, Willy's Cream Stout

Kegged: Tank 7 Clone renamed "Le Ferme" (dryhopped cascade, sorachi), Caramel Amber Ale, Trout Bum APA, 3 Dogs APA

Gallons Brewed Since June: 53.5

Old 11-01-2011, 04:21 AM   #4
Kaanan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Could you just wrap the blow off tubes water source in a blanket to deaden the sound?

Old 11-01-2011, 04:23 AM   #5
runningweird
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 47

whenever your fermenter stops erupting with the fury of Vesuvius. I take the blow off tube out when vigourous fermentation stops but co2 is still being released.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:30 AM   #6
subliminalurge
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I ferment 5 gallon batches in 6.5 gallon carboys. Been doing so for 6 years. Probably a couple hundred batches.

Never used a "blow off", just use an airlock every time. In that time there has been only one time where the fermentation was so strong that the airlock couldn't handle it and the stopper got blown out of the carboy. And on that occasion I just squirted it down with star san, stuck it back in, and the beer came out fine.

Blow offs are a waste. Only the paranoid people use them. There's really no need. Airlocks do the job just fine. All you have to do is make sure to use a large enough container for your primary.

IMHO, blow offs are sort of a noob thing. If you hit your gravity right, and have the proper container for a primary, then an airlock is all you really need.

Blow offs are something you use on special occasions, when you're making an extra special, super-high-gravity brew.

You don't have to use them every time.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:36 AM   #7
runningweird
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by subliminalurge View Post
I ferment in 6.5 gallon carboys. Been doing so for 6 years. Probably a couple hundred batches.

Never used a "blow off", just use an airlock every time. In that time there has been only one time where the fermentation was so strong that the airlock couldn't handle it and the stopper got blown out of the carboy.

Blow offs are a waste. Only the paranoid people use them. There's really no need. Airlocks do the job just fine. All you have to do is make sure to use a large enough container for your primary.

IMHO, blow offs are sort of a noob thing. If you hit your gravity right, and have the proper container for a primary, then an airlock is all you really need.

Blow offs are something you use on special occasions, when you're making and extra special, super-high-gravity brew.

You don't have to use them every time.
judgey wudgey was a bear.

that was harsh.

I wish I had the final volume accuracy to do this but even when I ferment in 6 gallon carboys ( fermenting a 5.5 gallon batch) I still fear blowoff.

I don't think blowoff tubes a waste at all for myself, it gives me peace of mind to know if I happen to get a mondo fermentation I don't have a bunch of splooge to clean up.

My 6 Tap Long Draw Tower Build:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/long-draw-salt-water-chilled-beer-tower-271578/

Old 11-01-2011, 04:39 AM   #8
rossi46
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I dont think blow offs are a waste of time. I do 5 1/5 gallon batches in 6 1/2 gallon carboy and about half the time it spews out the tube. I leave mine on the whole time.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:36 AM   #9
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2642 Times on 2068 Posts
Likes Given: 294

Quote:
Originally Posted by subliminalurge
Blow offs are a waste. Only the paranoid people use them.
Quote:
Blow offs are something you use on special occasions, when you're making an extra special, super-high-gravity brew.
Well, which is it... noob?

Old 11-01-2011, 06:50 AM   #10
wcrooker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossi46
I dont think blow offs are a waste of time. I do 5 1/5 gallon batches in 6 1/2 gallon carboy and about half the time it spews out the tube. I leave mine on the whole time.
+1 on this. I usually get some pretty active fermentation and the krauzen marches about 3" up the blow off tube. But back to the OP, just wait til the fermentation slows and then replace the air lock

Quick Reply