Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Best Starter Kits

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2011, 05:53 AM   #1
Sharkman20
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Best Starter Kits

Hey everyone, I've been reading up on home brewing for quite some time and I'm ready to take the plunge. I'm planning on buying a starter kit in about a week, but I want to get the most for my money. I was wondering if anyone here could throw their two cents in about what places offer the best kits for the best prices. Right now I'm looking at the Intermediate kit from Midwest with the 2 better bottles, and the gold starter kit from Brewmasters Warehouse. They seem pretty similar as far as what they come with, but the one from Midwest seems to be the much better bang for my buck. Does anyone know of any other places that are offering comparable starter kits? Here are the links to the ones I'm looking at right now. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I'm also looking at adding on a couple extra things for making a batch of wine as well, since I haven't seen any combo starter kits anywhere.

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/brewi...e-carboys.html -$109.95

http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com/...ld-starter-kit -$144.99

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2011, 07:50 AM   #2
Stuntman
Alcohol to Urine 37+ yrs. Not any longer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 7

The first one for 109 is a good deal for you. The pales will cure blow off, then secondary into the better bottles. Buy pots to do a ten gallon batch (you will thank me later). You also can do wine with those plastic buckets (I wouldn't).

Later get two glass 6 gallon primaries, you can still do ten gallon batches and when you have enough beer, time to make a batch of wine (6 gal glass carboy). Plastic pales let oxygen in, while product is in for longer periods of time. I bought two lately, but only to build pipeline faster. Beer never stays in for more than a week. Do not stack one plastic bucket in the other, it will scratch it then you have a harboring place for bacteria.

Good luck on the new hobby, it is addictive (you never have enough stuff).

Emphasis on drank, sober since August 28 2011

Old 04-05-2011, 09:15 AM   #3
quadbikerjosh
Recipes 

welcome to your new addiction. personally i woud go for the midwest starter kit. its been the best deal ive found. i just got the master brewers kit with an extra keg. shipped quick and everything is spotless. i think you might get better results with glass carboys thain better bottles personally.

crayons taste like purple!

Old 04-05-2011, 03:59 PM   #4
NorthRiverS
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Shark,

Check this kit out. the best thing about it is never needing to siphon. Taking hydrometer samples is a breeze. My spigots have also never leaked. It has made my brewing experience great.

http://www.williamsbrewing.com/BREWE...-P2198C73.aspx

NRS

Old 04-05-2011, 08:45 PM   #5
ale_mongrel
Recipes 

Depending where you live you maybe able to look on craigslist, or ebay and get a good deal on some used stuff.. I picked up my "starter kit" that way a most a year ago, I got all the nessicary equipment plus, extra ferm bucket, extra bottling bucket, bottles cappers, caps grain bag, tubing. When I went to buy my first extract kit at my lhbs, the guy behind the counter "checked my stuff" for me ( I was expecting the hard sell) and he told me "Id brew with it"

Old 04-05-2011, 09:49 PM   #6
budman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This would be my choice just for the shipping plus for $10 more u can get a glass carboy. http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewin...arter-kit.html

Old 04-05-2011, 09:58 PM   #7
Shaneoco1981
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Both kits are good. Just remember when you are spending the money for a brew kettle, bigger is better. I bought a 15 gallon on recommendations from friends and people online. My friend has a 10 gallon pot and for his all grain setup, and he is always pushing his batch size to the max and running the risk of boiling over. So go bigger.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:52 PM   #8
BWN
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You should decide if you want to secondary or not. If not(which a lot of people don't) those 5 gallon carboys probably won't be too useful. You might better buy a smaller kit and add things you need like another primary.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:12 PM   #9
thebeers54
Recipes 

I went with this one a couple months ago.. http://www.williamsbrewing.com/COMPL...P2355C257.aspx having the chiller and brew pot included has been nice and I'm glad I went with the kit. Their customer service/support is also outstanding. I called a couple times with questions about my first brew and talked to the the owner himself.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:27 PM   #10
Mikey_Dawg
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeers54 View Post
I went with this one a couple months ago.. http://www.williamsbrewing.com/COMPL...P2355C257.aspx having the chiller and brew pot included has been nice and I'm glad I went with the kit. Their customer service/support is also outstanding. I called a couple times with questions about my first brew and talked to the the owner himself.
This looks like a pretty good setup if you dont already have a pot and a wort chiller would be great to have.

The midwest kit seems like a good starter kit as well as a bottling bucket is very useful if you plan to bottle.

Might want to see what shipping will be on some of these kits as well... the price could jump a good bit if they dont have standard shipping prices or free over X amount....

Either way, you will do fine with most any of these setups.... welcome to the club... you will enjoy it. I recommend Austin Homebrew recipe kits if you are looking for some brewing kits to get started with....always fresh ingredients and great instructions.

Quick Reply