Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Best starter kit to get....?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2009, 03:00 PM   #1
CaptKiRkLeS
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Best starter kit to get....?

...if this was already discussed please direct me that way. (I am still tryin to get the hang of thse threads)
If not, I am looking into the Mr. Beer kit but after some reading there are mixed reviews but as a noob to the home brew scene, it does not seem it would be a horrible way to start. I started looking into other kits but I am so lost as to exsactly what I need and how to start. (Mr. Beer seems to be the easiest way to start)

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. I just orderd How to Brew by Palmer and I am continuing my online research. I want this to turn into the hobby that everyone seems to rav about and get the enjoyment of sipping my own brew!

thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2009, 03:47 PM   #2
HOOTER
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Assuming your going to at least start out as an extract brewer, you'll need something like this and this. You don't want to necessarily start with the "easiest" way, because you'll find yourself buying more equipment very soon. This stuff will probably get you by for quite a while.

On tap: Hefeweizen, Centennial Blonde
Up next: Quality Beverages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Shorts Would Make Boners Obvious

Old 10-18-2009, 03:55 PM   #3
CaptKiRkLeS
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

so basically go with something more advanced that Mr. Beer because if I do get more into this (which i hope) I will be buying this stuff anyway?

Brew on!

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!

Old 10-18-2009, 04:08 PM   #4
gmaupin
Recipes 

the kit that he posted is the better I started out with MR.Beer and trust me as you start growing your equipment you will spend more so I would go with the most bang for your buck I bought a basic equipment kit and then had to add a better bottle auto siphon carboy cap etc..... so that kinda saves you money for more ingredients. Happy brewing

Old 10-18-2009, 04:21 PM   #5
HillbillyDeluxe
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I reccomend the brewers best kit, and a turkey fryer setup. That will be a good start. I started with mr beer as well and would have saved a fortune if i had just done that instead.

You gonna pull them pistols, or whistle dixie?

Possum Knob Brewery and Stables
Possum Knob, KY.

Old 10-18-2009, 11:00 PM   #6
HOOTER
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptKiRkLeS View Post
so basically go with something more advanced that Mr. Beer because if I do get more into this (which i hope) I will be buying this stuff anyway?
Yeah. Homebrewing is like crack, once you start you can't stop.
If you are fan of quality beer and like a variety of beer types, you'll love homebrewing. You might as well get a decent kit to start out with. If your a BMC drinker, don't bother.
On tap: Hefeweizen, Centennial Blonde
Up next: Quality Beverages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Shorts Would Make Boners Obvious

Old 10-19-2009, 01:20 AM   #7
ks_medic
Recipes 

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/produ...px?ProdID=7587

here's a kit with everything you need to get started. Eventually you'll want to get a bigger pot and a burner to do full boils. But this will do the trick now.

Old 10-19-2009, 02:20 AM   #8
feedbag
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Those northern brewer and midwest setups are all really great. I started with this and it has served me very well. It even comes with ingredients for your first batch. You would need a pot still though, I started with an enamel steel 5 gallon at wal-mart, I think it was only about 20 bucks. If you have some extra money to spend I would go with this. It includes a pot and immersion chiller, excellent deal and plenty to get you running for quite a while. Good luck and welcome to the hobby!

Old 10-19-2009, 02:34 AM   #9
pretzelb
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm on my 7th batch and I think the nice thing about the Northern Brewer or Midwest kits suggested is that IF you learn to like the hobby these kits will keep you going for a long time. They can keep you going indefinitely really. Think of kits like those as building blocks that can be added to and built upon. You could also end up replacing everything in those kits but it's easier to see someone leveraging those kits for a long time.

Old 10-19-2009, 04:06 PM   #10
cryptonic84
Recipes 

I started with a deluxe basic kit and bought a 5.3 gallon stock pot. I wanted to go the mr beer route but quickly decided that the worst case scenario was i would ebay my kit if i hated brewing. Unfortunately for me, I am beyond hooked. I am already planning on my next house and what all i will need in order to have my brewery and bar and maybe a place to lay my head down at night.

Primary 1: Cream Ale {e} (11/4/09)
Primary 2: Kat's Irish Red {PM} (11/9/09)
Secondary 1: Empty
Secondary 2: Empty
Sanke 1: Empty
Lagering Corny 1: Oktoberfest {e} (10/17/09)
Corny 2: Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale {e}(10/24/09)
Corny 3: Empty
Corny 4: Empty

Bottled: Smoked Porter {e}(9/17/09), Black Cherry Ale {e} (10/9/09), Raspberry Heffeweissen {e} (10/17/09)
Planned: MH#9 clone, black cherry ale v2, blonde ale, holiday spiced ale, budlite clone, and edwort's apflewein,

Quick Reply