The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > best price on a complete starter kit?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2010, 07:50 PM   #11
doctorRobert
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Check out austin home brew, I went with midwest but austin has a little better kit now that I know what i'm doing (bigger fermenter, floating thermometer)

Yo, What's Wrong With The Beer We Got? I Mean the Beer we got drank pretty Good Don't It? I Ain't Never Heard nobody complain about the beer we have..... It Drank Pretty Good. Budweiser...What's the name of some of them other beers ?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2010, 09:24 PM   #12
pen25
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

find a local brew store. you just might have one pretty close. go talk to them. they may be a little more then what youll find online but least youll get to know them. just check out midwest and austin to make sure your getting a complete setup. many things can be upgraded. IE get a bench capper for an upgrade. tell them you would like to have a thief instead of the "sample tube" and get starsan instead of the dry sample sanitizer they will throw in. the williams brewing kit is pretty complete. but with a little work and sweat of your own you can do the same for cheaper.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=local+home+brew+store+vermont&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

from or living in oklahoma? come join us in the oklahoma group

Old 05-09-2010, 09:54 PM   #13
802VermontHomebrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for all the links guys! You have been very helpful... I do in fact have a brew supply store, its an hour and 40 min. from my house but only 15 minutes from my inlaws house which we visit pretty frequently. Next Time I am up there (this weekend coming up) I will be making a special trip out there. The starter kit is basically what you guys posted links for the single stage without a carboy is 74.99 I however am leaning towards this kit on midwest:

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/every...ent-kit-2.html

This kit HAS IT ALL! The price seems very fair and comes with bottles, carboy and a stainless steel boiling pot... The shipping is a little high (45.00) but thats alright... I would probably spend that in total buying those items seperatley... From my research so far stainless pots are anywhere from 25-35.00 and thats pretty much the shipping cost right there... and the bottles per case are about 13-17.00 so there yah go! So I think my mind is made up on which kit I need to go with. Only question now is what do I get (the better barrel or the glass carboy) Plastic would be nice so I dont have to worry about dropping it and having it break, but glass seems like a very nice option as far as easy to clean etc.. Which do you guys prefer since I do get to chose which one. Thanks,
-Scott

Old 05-09-2010, 09:56 PM   #14
802VermontHomebrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I also get to chose which type of beer I want to make for my first batch (amber ale, irish red, or a stout).. I am thinking amber ale would be the best for my first batch then work my way up to the more full body beers.

Old 05-09-2010, 10:00 PM   #15
mosquitocontrol
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

FYI: You can reuse standard commerical bottles as long as they are twist off. So generally I would count the 2 cases of bottles as FREE. I got a set of 4 stockpots for $45 I think. So you can easily find those cheaper. But sometimes easier just is better.

Old 05-09-2010, 11:14 PM   #16
802VermontHomebrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

wow where did you find 4 stockpots for 45.00 lol? I cant find them any cheaper then what I mentioned.

Old 05-09-2010, 11:29 PM   #17
doctorRobert
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 15

You cannot use twist offs - that must be a typo above.

Again check out austin homebrew, because the difference in shipping $8, vs, $45 may be a a deciding factor.

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/produc...ducts_id=11357

I wish I did that. The bigger fermenter will come in handy when doing a strong brew. Also, I highly recommend the plastic better bottle carboy.

Yo, What's Wrong With The Beer We Got? I Mean the Beer we got drank pretty Good Don't It? I Ain't Never Heard nobody complain about the beer we have..... It Drank Pretty Good. Budweiser...What's the name of some of them other beers ?

Old 05-09-2010, 11:50 PM   #18
802VermontHomebrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

yeah i'd like to see somebody cap a twist off

Old 05-10-2010, 12:38 AM   #19
HarkinBanks
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Once you price in the cost of a decent brew kettle and a wort chiller, the Williams deal wins from what I have seen at the other sites. You will want a chiller at some point in the future.

6th Street Brewing Company

Old 05-10-2010, 01:22 AM   #20
DirtyJersey
Recipes 

I ordered a delux kit from Midwest Supplies...came eith everything; primary bucket, glass carboy, botting bucket, autosiphon, wine thief, thermometer, carboy brush, bottle brush, floating thermometer, hydrometer, stainless steel brew kettle, stainless steel spoon, 6 feet of tubing, bottling wand, 2 cases (48) brand new bottles, and an extract kit of my choice. All that purchased and delivered for $209. Probably a little overboard, but I was looking at a "basic" kit that was around $89.00. With shipping, it was near $105, or so...but it lacked the brew kettle, the glass carboy, the autosiphon, the bottles, the extract kit and the hydrometer. For an extra $100, I thought it was worth getting the delux. The carboy, kettle and kit alone were probably worth $100.

Where do you live in VT? I lived 15 minutes from Killington for nearly 20 years.

Primary: Dirty Jersey Brown Ale
Secondary:
Bottled:
Drinking:

Quick Reply