Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > best place for supplies: Canada

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2010, 08:08 PM   #41
jfr1111
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadabrew View Post
Hi Verroa - I'm doing some festa''s as well, just bottled the pale ale. How is the double oatmeal stout? How do you find them generally?
The double oatmeal stout is quite good. I overcarbed mine a touch, but I just leave it in the open for 10 minutes or so, then it's deliciously creamy. It's a bit harsher than many Oatmeal Stouts though: it's roasty and toasty, altough there's almost no hop bitterness. I wouldn't hesitate picking it up again: you get almost a full 23L out of the box since there's almost no trub at all in the wort. For the quality, it's a lot better than whatever extract kit you can buy on the market and once you factor in that you get a true 23L out of it with a good dry yeast you can use (and not crap taped on a can), it's almost a no brainer.

My all grain batches cost me less, but I also get less beer out of them due to trub and hop matter. With Festa Brew, there's really not much hassle and you can be sure it'll turn out good if you are careful about sanitation and temperature control/yeast health.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2010, 04:03 PM   #42
elproducto
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Well, looks like Canadian Homebrew Supplies is now doing mailorder only, no pickups. Guess I'm now a loyal customer of Spencer at homebrewgearcanada, for his STELLAR customer service and fast shipping.

Old 12-07-2010, 05:25 PM   #43
Varroa
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Spencer has treated me VERY well, including making some custom orders that are not listed on his site.

Primary #1: Hoppy LAN Party DIPA (>100 IBUs)
Primary #2: Irish Red
Primary #3: Belgian Trappist Pumpkin Ale
Primary #4:
Secondary:
Bottle/Kegged: Belgium Dubbel Blonde, Centennial Honey Blonde, Throwdown Oatmeal Stout, Throwdown Milk Stout, Festabrew Czech Pilsner, Hard Sparking cider On Deck: Varroa's Wee Scottish Heavy, hard sparkling cider

Old 12-07-2010, 07:43 PM   #44
viking_brew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elproducto View Post
Well, looks like Canadian Homebrew Supplies is now doing mailorder only, no pickups. Guess I'm now a loyal customer of Spencer at homebrewgearcanada, for his STELLAR customer service and fast shipping.
Only the customers are to blame for that - too many no-shows . Really disappointing as it was pretty convenient for me. You can still arrange a pick up but you need to pay with pay-pal in advance. Oh well.

Old 12-07-2010, 10:48 PM   #45
findlaym
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Shipping was quick with canadian home brew supplies (CHBS) prices were good and everything arrived as described. homebrewgear canada (HBCC) has a substantially smaller selection of both consumables and equipment. I had a good experience with CHBS but I will say that their website is frustrating. the cart kept emptying on me and I would have to go and fill it again. also paypal are total a$%holes and I won't deal with them ever again if I don't have to. does that really impact my experience? no. I would rather deal with a less than optimal website and the paypall D*&s than drive to Toronto any day.

Old 12-07-2010, 10:59 PM   #46
Clarkd
Recipes 

I have to give a major plus one to www.hopdawgs.ca . Chris has exceptional customer service, is very helpful and gets orders out really really quickly. His selection is pretty good on everything as well and he adds to it all the time. Check it out guys!

Clark

Old 12-08-2010, 02:53 AM   #47
b33risGOOD
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You guys are ****ign kiding me. they are not doing local pick up anymore?/

Old 12-08-2010, 03:42 AM   #48
viking_brew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b33risGOOD View Post
You guys are ****ign kiding me. they are not doing local pick up anymore?/
Nope, check out the "Events/News" section on his page. You can arrange local pickup but you have to pay in advance using pay-pal. Too many customers were not showing up to pickup and pay for their orders. I can't really blame him for the decision; I would do the same. Only takes a couple of a$#holes to ruin a good thing .

Last edited by viking_brew; 12-08-2010 at 03:43 AM. Reason: spelling

Old 12-15-2010, 04:49 PM   #49
elproducto
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 3

OK, just had a FANTASTIC customer experience with Chris at www.hopdawgs.ca. Great communication, and really fast and reasonable shipping.

I ordered a Barley Crusher and some grains, and it was sent out about an hour later.

Please people.. support these Canadian HBS, let our friends south of the border deal with theirs.

Old 12-15-2010, 05:11 PM   #50
paraordnance
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by elproducto View Post
OK, just had a FANTASTIC customer experience with Chris at www.hopdawgs.ca. Great communication, and really fast and reasonable shipping.

I ordered a Barley Crusher and some grains, and it was sent out about an hour later.

Please people.. support these Canadian HBS, let our friends south of the border deal with theirs.
yeah, I`m done with shopping south of the border. Shipping charges kill all nice deals and if you throw custom duties on a top, its not even worth it. I found local RAHR malting plant just 15 min drive from me and will be getting 2-row canadian malt at $20 for 55 lbs sack! Speciality grains can be ordered online from either one mentioned here online vendors. I`m a happy brewer now

Quick Reply