Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > best place for supplies: Canada

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2010, 04:24 PM   #31
viking_brew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticBrewer View Post
Has anyone here ordered hops through them?

I'm still cutting my teeth with some festa kits, but I'm definitely going to look into this for when I start going extract and partial mash.
I have not ordered from them yet...maybe on my next batch I'll place an order and see how it goes.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2010, 06:44 PM   #32
johnnyspade
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadabrew View Post
Hi Verroa - I'm doing some festa''s as well, just bottled the pale ale. How is the double oatmeal stout? How do you find them generally?
I've made the Festa Double Oatmeal Stout a couple of times and it's excellent. The only recommendation I would make is to condition it as long as you can hold out. After 4 weeks in the bottle, it's very good, after 6 weeks it's even better.

If you can get it, the West Coast IPA is also very good. They did a limited run of that beer this Summer.

Old 11-25-2010, 07:55 PM   #33
chew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valcarde View Post
I'd like to order from online places as well, but having a hell of a time finding a place that stocks the Tap-a-draft kits in Canada. x.x
I ordered mine through Morebeer out of the US. Shipping was via USPS, and was pretty quick and inexpensive.

For folks out west, there is a new operation out of Vernon, BC, called Hop Dawgs. Decent selection and pricing.

Old 11-25-2010, 08:32 PM   #34
crypt0
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

+1 vote for homebrewgearcanada. I live about 3 hour drive from where they ship, and shipment arrives the next business day.

My only complaint is I wish they sold more hops in bulk.

I am lucky enough to live within driving distance of Gilbertson and Paige, so I go there for my bulk malts, and get my specialty malts/hops/yeast from HBGC.

Old 11-25-2010, 09:05 PM   #35
Erythro73
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varroa View Post
Homebrewgearcanada is my favourite so far. I am a member of MoB but haven't participated in any group buys yet. I sometimes make the drive up to Montreal and go here:

http://www.cachettedubootlegger.ca/beer.html

and here

http://www.biereetvin.com/english/english.htm
Can I also suggest

http://www.choppeabarrock.com/

Which is pretty much my favorite place (easily accessible + great service... but the hop is way too pricy).

Old 11-26-2010, 02:59 PM   #36
straylight77
Recipes 

Any extract brewers in the Markham/Richmond Hill area? Yesterday I had a visit with these guys: http://barleyandgrapes.com/

Andy (the owner I believe) was very helpful. He's willing to sell some of his Pale Extract Syrup for $6 / Litre. We measured the weight of that -- 1420g or 3 lbs. 2 oz. per Litre. From what I've seen so far that's not too bad of a deal. They also have a bunch of specialty grains (crystal, wheat, muncih, etc) and hops (10 cents per gram).

Just thought I would mention it. It's the most convenient location for me (near work) so I'm planning on supplying my first recipe from here.

Old 11-26-2010, 03:43 PM   #37
whitebirdfeathers
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I'm all for supporting Canadian businesses first but I was unable to find a wort chiller through the Canadian companies so I looked at the American ones. I found that Learntobrew.com does $7.99 shipping to Canada without any brokerage fees. I may have to pay some duty when it arrives but that is no big deal.

Worth checking out.

That's why I'm easy, easy like Sunday morning...

Old 11-26-2010, 06:07 PM   #38
viking_brew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitebirdfeathers View Post
I'm all for supporting Canadian businesses first but I was unable to find a wort chiller through the Canadian companies so I looked at the American ones. I found that Learntobrew.com does $7.99 shipping to Canada without any brokerage fees. I may have to pay some duty when it arrives but that is no big deal.

Worth checking out.
Good to know.

Have you considered making your own wort chiller? I have yet to look into one but a simple immersion wort chiller looks pretty easy to make, and probably a lot cheaper than one from a homebrew store.

Here's a link I found:
http://www.olderascal.com/brewing/wo...ler/index.html

Old 11-26-2010, 06:10 PM   #39
chew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitebirdfeathers View Post

Worth checking out.
Canadian Homebrew Supplies carries both the Brewer's Best copper wort chiller (which I just received) and the Blichmann plate chiller.

Old 11-26-2010, 06:47 PM   #40
clayroc
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Wow, here in Calgary I have to goto 3 different wine making stores just to get everything I need. And most of the time I can't find what I really want and have to settle for what they have. To be honest I don't think there is a dedicated LHBS here, and if there is they suck at advertising because I haven't found them yet. Maybe I should open one

Quick Reply