*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Best place to store bottled beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2010, 11:29 PM   #1
QuixoticDevice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Best place to store bottled beer?

So, I've just bottled my first non-kit batch using my homegrown hops. The hydrometer sample from bottling tasted pretty good so I'm hoping it'll turn out alright, but I have something of a conundrum: I generally want to store them around 65-75 F, but, due to recent weather, my basement is sitting at a fairly constant 60-61 F and my main floor is fluctuating between 80 and 85 F. There's no real middle ground to be found. My question is, should I just let it sit at 60F for longer than usual or is there a decent way that I could keep it upstairs at a reasonable temperature?
My gut reaction is to let it sit in the cooler temperature for longer, but I've got the first meeting of the homebrew club that my friends and I are putting together in three weeks, so I'd like to have some of it ready for consumption by then.
I've been thinking of the possibility of keeping them in a cooler on the main floor with a little water, checking often, and adding a handful of ice cubes if it starts to get out of the 65-75F range. Would that be stable enough for proper carbonation?
Any thoughts from anyone? It's sitting on Windsor yeast, if that influences things significantly.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2010, 11:31 PM   #2
brewmonk
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 84

let it sit upstairs for a day or two, then cellar them. 3 weeks is a little short, depending on how much hops, but, hey, go for it.

-I'm not getting older, but the floor is getting further away.

Old 05-26-2010, 12:09 AM   #3
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

70ish is ideal for carbonating. I'd leave them upstairs in a cool corner or closet or something for a week, and then move them to the basement. 61 is great for long term storage, but they will carb slower.

Old 05-26-2010, 12:16 AM   #4
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

At 80 to 85 it might carb too fast and blow out the bottles.

You might need to transport them up and down the stairs daily to keep the temp 70-75.

Old 05-26-2010, 12:25 AM   #5
eddie
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'd put them downstairs and wait. The temps are bound to warm up a little before too long anyway.

Quick Reply