Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > The best online home brew supply retailer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2007, 10:33 PM   #1
EinGutesBier
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default The best online home brew supply retailer?

I'm doing the necessary research to begin home brewing and although I've looked at a number of home brew supply online retailers, I'm not sure who is the best in terms of quality, service and consistency. Does anyone have a recommendation on a retailer to try who has a balance of good prices, good shipping rates (or free?) and prompt service? Since there are so many choices to make, I'd like to start off on the right foot. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2007, 10:45 PM   #2
olllllo
[]-O-[]
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 13

You are in generally good hands if you shop the big 3:

AHS - Austin Hombrew Supply http://www.austinhomebrew.com/
B3 - Beer, Beer and More Beer http://www.morebeer.com/
NB - Northern Brewer http://www.NorthernBrewer.com

You might consider shipping distance and charges, which is something that only you can determine, since we don't know where you live.

Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 07-30-2007, 10:49 PM   #3
olllllo
[]-O-[]

Recipes 

In addition to those, I've used Williams, Adventures in Homebrewing, Homebrew Adventures, some place in Milwaukee (forgot) and have never had issues.

Twitter

Old 07-30-2007, 11:10 PM   #4
RichBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Welcome to HBT!
Tell us a bit about yourself and we will be better able to assist.

Enjoy!

Cheers,
Rich

Old 07-30-2007, 11:15 PM   #5
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yes, where you're located has a pretty big impact on which OHBS will be best for you. East of the Mississippi? Listermann.com has free shipping on orders over $35. Alot of the places carry the same stuff, and prices don't vary a whole lot on smaller items, so oftentimes it comes down to shipping costs and selection (whether that particular site has exactly what you need). I'll use listermann if A) I'm planning on spending $35 or more and B) they have everything I need. Otherwise I used austin homebrew almost exclusively, because of their cheap flat shipping rate.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 07-31-2007, 12:01 AM   #6
Thalon

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by olllllo
You are in generally good hands if you shop the big 3:

AHS - Austin Hombrew Supply http://www.austinhomebrew.com/
B3 - Beer, Beer and More Beer http://www.morebeer.com/
NB - Northern Brewer http://www.NorthernBrewer.com

You might consider shipping distance and charges, which is something that only you can determine, since we don't know where you live.

Whoah, you say Northern Brewer is bigger than Midwest Brewing Supply? I live locally here and have been to both places. Midwest is about 5 times the size of Northern Brewer... I've always gotten solid advice and great products from Midwest. Wish they carried magnetic stir bars though.

Old 07-31-2007, 12:05 AM   #7
olllllo
[]-O-[]

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalon
Whoah, you say Northern Brewer is bigger than Midwest Brewing Supply? I live locally here and have been to both places. Midwest is about 5 times the size of Northern Brewer... I've always gotten solid advice and great products from Midwest. Wish they carried magnetic stir bars though.
We're talking online. I have no idea how "large" they are. I see waaay more refrences to NB than Midwest.

EDIT: Google bears this out
"Northern Brewer" Results 64,300 for "Northern Brewer" http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22Northern+Brewer%22"Midwest Supplies" Results 12,400 for "Midwest Supplies" http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22Midwest+Supplies%22

For all I know they may all be like Dry Cleaners... everything goes to one place.
Twitter

Old 07-31-2007, 12:18 AM   #8
ArroganceFan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The only place I have ordered online is from Austin Home Brew. They have been great, flat rate shipping, and are very quick to answer any questions or concerns. I have not tried their beers yet, as my first two batches are still fermenting. Shipping has been fast. I really dont have any complaints.

I am not saying that they are better then the others because I don't have experience with the others, but I can not complain about their service at all.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Primary: Fat Tire clone
Secondary: Summit IPA
On Tap: Edwort's Apfelwein
Up Next: Blue Moon clone, Muddy Waters Ale
Coming Soon: Geforce Shugga

Old 07-31-2007, 01:58 AM   #9
EinGutesBier
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That's right, I forgot to mention where I'm at. Unfortunately, I'm in the home brew supply deadspot of the country, North Dakota. As it stands, the closest place I can go is to Billings, Montana, next closest is Fargo and so on. I found a provider from Minnesota that may be a good shot, but I'd be happy to consider any of the suggestions all of you kindly offered. If my location affects my options, feel free to let me know! Thanks for all of the quick, helpful replies everyone. I noticed someone had mentioned Midwest Brewing Supply - I'm considering going through them since they're fairly close and the prices don't seem too shabby either.

Old 07-31-2007, 02:05 AM   #10
rdwj

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts

If I were naming a "big 3", it would be Northern, Midwest and Morebeer. AHS is close, but doesn't really compare to the others in terms of equipment. The recipe selection from AHS; however, is excellent.

Quick Reply