Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Best methods for cleaning bottles?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2009, 05:42 AM   #1
marcodonaldson
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Best methods for cleaning bottles?

I'm about to bottle a new batch this weekend and I've got about 36, 22oz bottles I need to clean. There is a accumulation of dust, dirt, and debris in them since they were stored in the garage. Any recommendations for a good, thorough cleaning before bottling?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2009, 06:10 AM   #2
AmpedUp
Recipes 

I like to rinse with plain water first then fill my bottling bucket up with 5 gals of hot water and mix in my cleanser, then put as many bottles in the bucket standing up as I can and let then sit for about 10 mins each. once I have cleaned all my bottles I repeat the process with a sanitization solution.

Old 09-30-2009, 06:51 AM   #3
ifishsum
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

If they've been sitting out a while or have been received from sources other than my own use (i always rinse mine directly after emptying), I give them a few hours soak in warm water and some bleach or oxyclean. That will loosen up any organic residue or mold/mildew that might be in the bottles, usually without having to brush at all. Then I rinse them well and of course sanitize immediately before I fill them.

Primary 2: Edwort's Robust Porter
Secondary 1: LW Pale Ale
Secondary 1: Blackened Soul RIS
Kegged: Dead Guy Ale
Kegged: Rye Pale Ale
Kegged: Haus Pale Ale
Kegged: Nut Brown Ale
Kegged: Afrikan Amber
Kegged: Jock Scott Ale
Kegged: Afrikan Amber

Old 09-30-2009, 12:36 PM   #4
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 37 Posts

after years of bottling, I found the greatest way to clean and sanitize them a few weeks ago. First, I got the jet bottle washer attachment for a sink. This thing is awesome. It shoots a pretty high pressure jet up into the bottle. That will get rid of dirt, dust and any debris I might have left behind. Then, after seeing several people rave about it, I got a Vinator. this device holds a little bit of sanitizer. You depress the bottle on it, and squirt sanitizing solution into the bottle. After that, you are ready to go. No soaking, scrubbing, dumping etc.

Old 09-30-2009, 12:47 PM   #5
jbambuti
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I'm a bit anal about sanitation, so if I'm using bottles that I haven't used before, I always scrub the bottles well with a brush before sanitizing. I don't want some small bug to mess up all that work so, although I hate bottle prep, I do it religiously.

Primary 2: Apfelwein

Primary 3: Air

Bottled: Hammered Squirrel Nut Brown Ale (btl. 5/9/10), Jamil's Evil Twin (btl. 3/29/10), Crazy Ivan RIS (btl. 2/14/10), English Pale Ale (btl. 12/29/09), Apfelwein

Up Next:
IPALover Likes This 
Old 09-30-2009, 01:00 PM   #6
corvax13
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I usually go for a scrub with a bottle brush and some cleaner, then throw them all into a big tupperware thing and soak them in star san. This usually helps loosen up the bottles too. I let them sit in the star san for a couple days, then when it comes to bottling day Ill take them out, brush off any left over labels, and put them in the dishwasher. No soap or detergent, just use the "sanitize" cycle. I leave them there until I pull them out one by one when bottling.

This might be overkill with the dishwasher, but its a nice way of drying them out too, lacking a bottle tree.

Furry Friend Brewery

Old 09-30-2009, 01:08 PM   #7
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You can clean them on the outside as mentioned several way above, but for the inside I use a bottle brush. Cut the loop off and insert the straight end into a drill...

Old 09-30-2009, 01:16 PM   #8
Dave258
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

If I get bottles from "the wild" I do the oxyclean free & hot water soak for a couple of hours, then blast them with the jet bottle washer till clean.

To sanatize I use the vinatore, then hang on the bottle tree.

Three of the best things I have added to my collection, Jet bottle washer, vinatore and bottle tree!

Dave

Old 09-30-2009, 01:43 PM   #9
BubbaK
Recipes 

When I first get bottles, I soak in Oxyclean to remove labels and any other funk. Then I run all my bottles through the dishwasher and store in cases. When I am ready to bottle, I soak in Starsan and bottle. As I drink them, they get rinsed then dishwasher and cases..

Kick The Can Brewery

Old 09-30-2009, 02:03 PM   #10
Trevor57
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Let them soak in water/oxyclean to loosen up and sediment, let them dry, then just put them in the dishwasher with no soap, and run it. That will rinse and sanitize in one step. With no work.

Acronyms are FS

Quick Reply