Best method of Re-Pitching

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michael.berta

Reaction score
I'm going to be making a Duvel clone and will be culturing yeast from a few Duvel bottles; making a starter and using that as my yeast. I'd like to do this again without having to buy my Duvel bottles (just lost job and trying to save $$$).

I've been reading alot here about yeast washing on this site. John Palmer suggests this:

The best way to obtain yeast is to skim it from the krausen of a currently fermenting beer. To do this, you will need to be using a bucket type fermentor and first skim off the green/brown hop and protein compounds with a sanitized spoon early in the primary phase. As the creamy white krausen builds up, you can skim this fresh yeast off with a sanitized spoon and transfer it to a sanitized jar. Fill the jar with cooled boiled water and place it in the refridgerator. The lack of nutrients in the water will cause the yeast to kind of "hibernate" and it will keep for up to a couple months. You should pitch this yeast to a starter after storage to re-vitalize it.

Palmer's method seems like a lot less work than washing. Palmer's method also doesn't involve having to deal with trub from a prior batch.

Which method to most brewers prefer? Is there a rist of having under attenuated beer due (on te doner batch) to robbing yeast off the Krausen? Also, if doing Palmer's method how much of the Krausen to skim off? Just a few spoon fulls or does it require significant amounts to be skimmed.

Thanks

Mike

It is really not a lot of work at all. Boil some water. Let it cool. Mix with yeast cake. Pour into mixture into mason jars. Put in the back of your fridge. That is all there really is to it.

I did the washing method, and found it pretty easy, I have my first batch bubbling like mad into a blowoff tube right now, it was simple... I just read that howto and followed the directions.

I'd like to try 'top cropping' (the krausen skimming method that palmer mentions) some time, but I'm only using glass carboys these days for fermentation, so I'm washing the yeast left on the bottom these days

Back