Best method to chill large batch of wort without a chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamd

Reaction score
I am going to start off making 12 gallon batches because I'm retarded and like jumping right into things. My kettle is a converted keg and the sink with a ton of ice is not an ideal solution. I am going to be purchasing an immersion chiller, but I may do a batch or two before I have the money for that. My idea was to have a bunch of large ice blocks that I use, from boiled water into sanitized tupaware. Also, I'm pretty sure there is a mathematical formula to determine how much of those ice blocks I would need to get down to 70 degrees, just would require a little searching.

My question for you guys is basically I'd like to remove the chill haze factor as much as possible without a wort chiller for a 12 gallon batch, what is the best plan of attack?

edit: I'm sure this has been discussed before, I wouldn't be insulted if you just gave a link.

That's interesting, how much did ice cost you? I just thought to buy a bunch of ice trays and make my own ice, I don't have a problem taking 5 minutes a day for a week or two leading up to a brew day if the ice ended up being pretty expensive.

I remember reading about x pounds of ice it takes to cool wort, do you have that formula handy? I disregarded it at the time because I didn't see myself using this method, but with that tub it definitely makes it feasible.

why cant one use 3-9 frozen water bottles to drop on the wort??? assuming you pull em out of the freezer, and drop em into your sani-bucket for a few minutes.... then, put your wort pot in the sink, drop in the frozen bottles, and BAM! cold break.

no?

imma' try this meathod tomorrow, so probs that causes would be helpfull now.

That's interesting, how much did ice cost you?

There is a machine down the street that I got a 20# bag for $1.50.
I put the pot in the tub, added about 1/3 water then added the bag of ice, then topped up with water. Keep stirring the wort and ice, (with different spoons) until chilled, usually took 20 minutes or so.:mug:

I you do a batch or two of 12 gallon batches before you pony up the money for an immersion chiller you are looking at $50-$100 just for the ingrediants. You can buy 50 ft of 3/8 inch copper at Home Depot for $50 and make yourself and immersion chiller. If you are doing 12 gallon batches I'd make the chiller first, brew one recipe, and then wait till you have the cash to do the second.

An IC or CFC will make your life so much easier.

I you do a batch or two of 12 gallon batches before you pony up the money for an immersion chiller you are looking at $50-$100 just for the ingrediants. You can buy 50 ft of 3/8 inch copper at Home Depot for $50 and make yourself and immersion chiller. If you are doing 12 gallon batches I'd make the chiller first, brew one recipe, and then wait till you have the cash to do the second.

An IC or CFC will make your life so much easier.

Was going to post with this exact same response.

$$ 2 x 12 gal batches = $$ chiller

I believe the best way to chill a large batch without a chiller is simply to not brew a large batch. You want a chiller my friend.

This is just one situation where you can't skimp when you're trying to chill that much wort. However, I'm guessing you're brewing extract so you can do a concentrated boil of say 3 gallons and top up in the fermenters with cold water.

Back