The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Best kit to start with?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2006, 04:40 AM   #1
radiohead84
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Best kit to start with?

The title pretty much says it all but here is a little on what my situation is.

I am a college student and have my own house that i share with some other friends. I love beer...more then the average college student. While I do the avg college drinking where you goto parties and try to drink as much crappy beer as possible in a short amount of time, I dont do it THAT often. More over..I love to buy good local micro brews at home(PA has some great ones)...even though it does cost a bit more...its worth it. No one else my age likes GOOD beer as much as I do..infact all my roomates hate the beer I buy.

SOOO, in an effort to expand my beer knowledge, have some fun, and save a buck or two I was wondering if some of you could suggest the best starting kit. I have read some of the home brew tutorials..including the one in the FAQ but I dont feel that I have a full grasp on it all quite yet. I am a learn by example kind of guy and like to have everything infront of me. Maybe a video would help aswell.

My favorite kind of beer is IPA by the way.

Forgot to mention that I have been unable to find a home brew shop near by. I have asked the local distributors if they knew of any and none of them do. Sooo, unless there is a database that has a good list, and maybe i could find one.....looks like ihave to buy online.

Thx

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2006, 02:31 PM   #2
bikebryan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiohead84
The title pretty much says it all but here is a little on what my situation is.

I am a college student and have my own house that i share with some other friends. I love beer...more then the average college student. While I do the avg college drinking where you goto parties and try to drink as much crappy beer as possible in a short amount of time, I dont do it THAT often. More over..I love to buy good local micro brews at home(PA has some great ones)...even though it does cost a bit more...its worth it. No one else my age likes GOOD beer as much as I do..infact all my roomates hate the beer I buy.

SOOO, in an effort to expand my beer knowledge, have some fun, and save a buck or two I was wondering if some of you could suggest the best starting kit. I have read some of the home brew tutorials..including the one in the FAQ but I dont feel that I have a full grasp on it all quite yet. I am a learn by example kind of guy and like to have everything infront of me. Maybe a video would help aswell.

My favorite kind of beer is IPA by the way.

Forgot to mention that I have been unable to find a home brew shop near by. I have asked the local distributors if they knew of any and none of them do. Sooo, unless there is a database that has a good list, and maybe i could find one.....looks like ihave to buy online.

Thx
For the most part, if you are trying to save "a buck or two" you don't want to get into homebrewing. You usually won't save money on buying pre-made brew.

It's just BETTER beer than what you can buy in the store.

Old 04-17-2006, 02:45 PM   #3
JRGSPE73

Recipes 

Radiohead, where in PA are you located? I'm in the philadelphia area, so if you're near Philly, I could point you toward several LHBS's that might have what you're looking for. if not, there are plenty of online resources where you can order equipment and supplies.

-Josh

"You sir, are drunk!"
"And you ma'am, are ugly, but when I wake up, I will be sober..."
-Sir Winston Churchill

Primary #1:
Air
Primary #2 (Plastic): Air
Secondary: Air
Bottled/Conditioning:

Bottled/Drinking: Nut Brown Ale (First Batch), Copperhead Amber Ale (Delicious!)
On The Horizon: Procrastination IPA, DunkelWeizen, Belgian Wit, Caramel Vanilla Creme Ale, Mocha Espresso Porter

Old 04-17-2006, 03:14 PM   #4
Lounge Lizard

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikebryan
For the most part, if you are trying to save "a buck or two" you don't want to get into homebrewing. You usually won't save money on buying pre-made brew.

It's just BETTER beer than what you can buy in the store.

After the initial outlay, I think it's possible to save money. At $7.50 a six-pack for you average craft brew buying from the store, eight six-packs would run $60.00 plus tax. I usually get a little more than eight sixers from a batch. Some sixers cost more than $7.50.

If you were careful buying ingredients, two batches could be made for that 60 or so bucks.

It would take a while to recoup the investment in gear, though.

Old 04-17-2006, 03:20 PM   #5
Lounge Lizard

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

radiohead84,

If you haven't done it yet, read through www.howtobrew.com

There are lots of online homebrew shops. Some have free shipping on orders over 60 dollars. Austin Homebrew for one. Northern Brewer doesn't have free shipping, but they are a good place to buy from. Request one of their catalogues. They are fun to read through when you are away from the computer.

Old 04-17-2006, 04:41 PM   #6
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 124 Posts

I'd say start with an all-extract IPA. No point in making anything other than what you like. As mentioned, good beer costs a bit. An Imperial IPA kit will run $35-40 US, about a buck a pint.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 04-17-2006, 06:55 PM   #7
radiohead84
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRGSPE73
Radiohead, where in PA are you located? I'm in the philadelphia area, so if you're near Philly, I could point you toward several LHBS's that might have what you're looking for. if not, there are plenty of online resources where you can order equipment and supplies.

-Josh
Thx for the replies guys.

Yeah I know I wont save a lot, but I think I will really enjoy brewing and making some good beer. Aslong as it doesnt cost a lot more then buying a local microbrew I am going to do it.

I live near Lancaster PA..so about a hour and 45 min drive to Philly. I also go to harrisburg a lot where my favorite brewery and brewpubs are.

Old 04-17-2006, 06:59 PM   #8
cweston

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Whether or not you're saving money is a relative according to how you do that math.

One of the beers I'm enjoying right now is a Saison Dupont clone. Considering what it would cost me to purchase Saison Dupont (if it were reliably available locally, which it isn't), the $35 or so worth of ingredients that went into making it make it a steal.

I tend to think of the equipment purchases as hobby costs. Framed that way, it's a hobby that allows one to enjoy beer at a much lower per-bottle cost than buying it.

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale

Old 04-17-2006, 07:11 PM   #9
Lounge Lizard

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiohead84
Thx for the replies guys.

As long as it doesnt cost a lot more then buying a local microbrew I am going to do it.
Check these starter kits out:

After four batches or so, you will have paid for the equipment.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/starterkits.html

The "Glass Starter Kit" would get you off to a great start. 99 dollars and it comes with a glass secondary. If you have decent kitchen stove burners, all you would need is a brew pot of some kind. I started with an enamel canning pot from a dollar store. It is just fine for doing patial boils. I think it holds somewhere around four gallons.

You might looks at these kits and then go over to Austin Homebrew and find a similar one, since they have free shipping.

Start saving empty bottles now....

Old 04-17-2006, 07:35 PM   #10
radiohead84
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lounge Lizard +
Check these starter kits out:

After four batches or so, you will have paid for the equipment.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/starterkits.html

The "Glass Starter Kit" would get you off to a great start. 99 dollars and it comes with a glass secondary. If you have decent kitchen stove burners, all you would need is a brew pot of some kind. I started with an enamel canning pot from a dollar store. It is just fine for doing patial boils. I think it holds somewhere around four gallons.

You might looks at these kits and then go over to Austin Homebrew and find a similar one, since they have free shipping.

Start saving empty bottles now....
http://cgi.ebay.com/HOME-BREW-BEER-M...ayphotohosting This looks like the same kind of thing..but on ebay so cheaper. Look good?

Quick Reply