Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Best Ingredient Kits?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2012, 04:36 AM   #1
whirlybirds
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Best Ingredient Kits?

I'm still new to home brewing since I've done only 4 beers to date. I've done extract and partial mash brewing only since I live in an apartment and don't have the space or place to do an all grain. So far I've stuck to simple beers, such as brewing beer that has all of the ingredients packaged in a kit. This got me wondering if there are some brand of kits I should stay away from? Anyone have any bad luck with certain kits? I've brew mostly Brewer's Best kit, with the exception of 1 True Brew kit. This weekend I've got a few kits arriving made by Northern Brewer. To those who do use a lot of kits, what brand and and beer style were some of the best beers you've made? I'm always looking for something new to brew so I'm open to any suggestion.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 04:41 AM   #2
Kjm06
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlybirds
I'm still new to home brewing since I've done only 4 beers to date. I've done extract and partial mash brewing only since I live in an apartment and don't have the space or place to do an all grain. So far I've stuck to simple beers, such as brewing beer that has all of the ingredients packaged in a kit. This got me wondering if there are some brand of kits I should stay away from? Anyone have any bad luck with certain kits? I've brew mostly Brewer's Best kit, with the exception of 1 True Brew kit. This weekend I've got a few kits arriving made by Northern Brewer. To those who do use a lot of kits, what brand and and beer style were some of the best beers you've made? I'm always looking for something new to brew so I'm open to any suggestion.
I like Northern brewer personally, they are fast on shipping too.

Old 04-25-2012, 04:42 AM   #3
jacobg83
Recipes 

I always order from Austin homebrew supply. They have over 700 different recipes to choose from. They have great service and advice if you need any. They have extract, mini mash, and all grain options for all the recipes. It only takes 3 days to get my order but I live in Texas.

Old 04-25-2012, 04:43 AM   #4
bleme
Recipes 

Liked 275 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Brewers Best and True Brew kits are great when they are packaged but unfortunately when you are ordering online, you have no idea when that was. It is easy to get a stale kit.

With Northern Brewer you know that it is a fresh kit with fresh ingredients. I also like that they have customer reviews right there so you can make sure it is a great recipe before you buy it!

Old 04-25-2012, 04:46 AM   #5
Kjm06
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleme
Brewers Best and True Brew kits are great when they are packaged but unfortunately when you are ordering online, you have no idea when that was. It is easy to get a stale kit.

With Northern Brewer you know that it is a fresh kit with fresh ingredients. I also like that they have customer reviews right there so you can make sure it is a great recipe before you buy it!
Yeah I agree on the customer reviews. The main reason I went with the, first. I wish all the sites would do this

Old 04-25-2012, 05:17 AM   #6
Blackfoot26
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Most well known homebrew shops will have high quality kits. Your LHBS may also be able to put something together for you if you ask. Freshness and quality are usually only an issue if you live somewhere that doesn't have a dedicated hombrew store, as is my case where all I have is the homebrew corner in the back of a gas station. They mean well, but the selection is less than ideal.

"If you ain't Cav..."

Old 04-25-2012, 03:25 PM   #7
TopherM
Vinz Clortho - the Keymaster of Gozer the Gozerian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Northern Brewer, Midwest Brew Supply, Brewer's Warehouse, Austin Homebrew, William's Brewing, Rebel Brewing, MoreBeer....these guys all do big volume and have fresh ingredients......I've also had great experiences with Birdman Brewing and Label Peelers (especially for hops!),

Primary #1 - Oktoberfest
Primary #2 - Chamomile Honey Wheat
Primary #3 - EMPTY!
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown (brewed August 2012)
Keg #1 - Coffee Vanilla Stout
Keg #2 - Fall of the Ukraine Baltic Porter (lagering in keg)
Keg #3 - EMPTY!
Bottled - NONE!

Old 04-25-2012, 03:30 PM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4469 Times on 3252 Posts
Likes Given: 868

I've done a lot of "clone" kits from austinhomebrew.com, and can recommend them. I've also done quite a few kits from northernbrewer.com but no "clone" kits from them. I really like both and their flat rate shipping of $7.99 made it nice for me to order a couple of kits at a time. They both have very good instructions and super fresh ingredients. They make up the kit when you order it, so the grain is fresh and so is the liquid extract. They don't send canned extract- they send extract that they keep under gas (argon?) and dispense when needed so the extract is fresh too.

Old 04-25-2012, 03:47 PM   #9
ScoRas
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I'd like to add that Northern Brewer did a great job double crushing grain for my first ever BIAB all grain using their witbier kit.

They have great customer service, and even highlighted and signed off on my special grain crush request on their QC form.

Primary - hopbursted Bohemian Pilsner

http://hopville.com/recipe/1687697

Quick Reply