Best homebrew supplier on the internet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsteab0yz

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just wondering what would be the best (cheapest) place to buy brewing supplies (extract, hops, yeast, etc...) on the web. Any suggestions would be great, thanks!

Chad

Check out any of the vendors here on the forum. In my experience they're all typically going to be cheaper (and more knowledgeable) than the local homebrew store. Northern Brewer and Austin Homebrew have pre-made kits and Brewmasters warehouse has a neat "build your own brew" feature. Rebelbrewer has good deals on some of the equipment and basic malts.

I don't know about "best", and I usually don't reply to vendor threads, but I always have to speak up for Brewmaster's Warehouse. I can't say enough about Ed's business and customer service. You won't be sorry.

It is hard to pinpoint just 1 place. Just like everyone else has said, all the vendors that support HBT are great! If you are looking for some deals, check out the Vendor Showcase. They are always posting up some great deals.

I have used Austin Homebrew Supply (AHS) and I would recommend them to anyone. Always superfast shipping and great prices. No complaints from me. I have also ordered from Kegconnection and Redding Homebrew (Jaybird on here). Both were fantastic.

Long story short, pick any vendor on here and you cannot go wrong. :mug:

Hops = Hopsdirect (buy at least 3#)
DME = Midwest Malt Supply (50# Briess Extra Pale DME price is awesome)
Anything else, including equipment and kits = Austin Homebrew

Other than that go to your LHBS for specialty grains and the oz or two of hops you need for a specific recipe. It is nearly impossible for them to compete with the internet. However, the relationship and advice you can gain from them is priceless.

Given your location, you might check rebel brewer first, though you may pay instate sales tax. Brewmasters Warehouse will also be able to ship to you very quickly from georgia. I'm in mississippi and i can get things from BMW overnight with just the standard shipping.

Austin homebrew is another great supplier and is very active on the forum (just as the two above are, as well).

"Best" and "cheapest" can be two different things. AHS has proven to be the best value I have found if you are looking to purchase ingredient kits. Their kits may be a few dollars more, but you get more for the money and you have to take into account their flat rate shipping. Oh yeah, facebook friend AHS and watch for their awesome specials. They will generally have one incredible deal per month that I just can't pass up. I just brewed a hoppy pale ale that was less than $20 for an allgrain kit.

+1 for hopsdirect. Thus far I keep the LHBS in business with my grain purchases, mainly because I don't have a mill yet.

Check out any of the vendors here on the forum. In my experience they're all typically going to be cheaper (and more knowledgeable) than the local homebrew store. Northern Brewer and Austin Homebrew have pre-made kits and Brewmasters warehouse has a neat "build your own brew" feature. Rebelbrewer has good deals on some of the equipment and basic malts.

Actually, Northerbrewer has pre-made kits (I know I have been there). We make your kit the same day it is being shipped. Sometimes within an hour of being shipped.

We are moving to a new larger 18,000 sq ft facility that will allow us to lower thousands of prices. We will be moving at the end of February.

Forrest

I have used Midwest so far for my few weeks of brewing and all my orders were smooth and timely.They seem to be a great company to deal with.I have also used cmcespresso.com for a weldless fitting,great person to deal with IMO.I also used The Bruhaus Brewing And Wine Supply for my carboy strap carriers,they were great too.

thanks for the info - i only have 1 LHBS in my city and the first trip i took there SUCKED. it was awesome because they had EVERYTHING i needed and then more but the people were pricks and when i was talking about getting a cork stopper for my glass carboy like i read on here - they basically acted like i was a crack smoking moron

when i tried to explain the theory and where i got the info from they just sort of laughed at me and didnt pay any attention

basically, if i had another option i would never go back there.....

to bad i dont - maybe one day ill own my own brew store

basically the people discredited and didnt even listen to what i was saying and came across as really really *****ey

/rant

I've ordered a bit from other places (there are a number, actually), but I keep coming back to Midwest Supplies.

just remember that cheapest doesn't = best

+1

Northerbrewer has pre-made kits

But no mini mash options.

I'll give a huge vote for AHS - fantastic customer service, great kits, fast delivery and a forum poster as the head dude. I have watched them grow in the last 2 years and am always impressed. I've spent over $1K (sadly) there in the last few years

I don't have a store close to me- the nearest homebrew shop is about 150 miles away. So, I order quite a bit from the online stores. I've ordered from just about all of them.

I've been very happy with all of them. I order less frequently from morebeer.com than austinhomebrew.com and brewmasterswarehouse.com because ahs and BMW generally have every single thing I need. I like to buy everything I need so I only pay the low flat rate shipping once!

I've been pleased with northernbrewer.com, too (love their catalogue!).

I have an order coming today from brewmaster's warehouse. My next order may be with rebelbrewer.com, because I'd like to try them too.

For ingredient kits, I really love AHS. Tons of choices, and all of them good! I've done a number of the "clone" kits, and really thought they were top notch. The instructions are excellent, and the ingredients are very fresh and of good quality.

For quick service, I like BMW. I ordered this weekend, and I'll have my order today. I also like his Brewbuilder software.

BMW is also very responsive. I had a question about my last order, and sent an email. Ed responded back in minutes, even though it was evening.

I'd recommend them, for sure!

I don't have a store close to me- the nearest homebrew shop is about 150 miles away. So, I order quite a bit from the online stores. I've ordered from just about all of them.

I've been very happy with all of them. I order less frequently from morebeer.com than austinhomebrew.com and brewmasterswarehouse.com because ahs and BMW generally have every single thing I need. I like to buy everything I need so I only pay the low flat rate shipping once!

I've been pleased with northernbrewer.com, too (love their catalogue!).

I have an order coming today from brewmaster's warehouse. My next order may be with rebelbrewer.com, because I'd like to try them too.

For ingredient kits, I really love AHS. Tons of choices, and all of them good! I've done a number of the "clone" kits, and really thought they were top notch. The instructions are excellent, and the ingredients are very fresh and of good quality.

For quick service, I like BMW. I ordered this weekend, and I'll have my order today. I also like his Brewbuilder software.

BMW is also very responsive. I had a question about my last order, and sent an email. Ed responded back in minutes, even though it was evening.

I'd recommend them, for sure!

+1
Austin Homebrew Supply for kits. They also seem to have a larger selection of everything else, which sounds like it will only improve with their move. Get on the mailing list and you can get some great deals/sales.

Brewmasters Warehouse for building your own recipes. The brew builder feature rocks :rockin:
I also use them primarily because of proximity, and I can usually receive my order 2 days after I place it. This is great for liquid yeast and such.

There's my $.02

Oh, and both Forest and Ed have a HUGE presence on here and not only contribute to the forum in general, but will also address concerns with their companies. Fantastic customer service!

With the Brew Builder you can not only build your own recipes, but you can choose from over 800 recipes in our recipe database. There are recipes for extract, partial mash and all grain on the site, and you can change anything you want in any of the recipes that are already saved. Like Austin Homebrew we do not prepackage our recipes. In fact there is no way for us to prepackage them since any recipe can be changed.

Ed

Midwest Supplies

They charge actual shipping (no deals) but the overall pricing and selection, as well as fast shipping, is outstanding. There are lots of good ones I've used (and now that I have a NB in town I will generally buy there for ease), but they seem to always come out ahead.

Latest posts

Back