Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Best fermentation fridge to fit a carboy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2010, 08:34 PM   #1
dmbnpj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Best fermentation fridge to fit a carboy

I am interested in converting a fridge to a fermentation chamber with a Johnson temperature controller and I am wondering what is the best option for a fridge. Maybe even a chest freezer. My concern about them is that all the insides I see pictures of have a bump out that will not fit a carboy. What do you all recommend?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2010, 01:49 AM   #2
Docjowles
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You caught the big "gotcha", that stupid hump where the compressor sits. My first fermentation fridge was the exact right dimensions I needed as listed on Craigslist... until I tried to put a bucket in there and the hump prevented the door from closing. I was able to make it work but it took some disassembly.

I recently got a pretty big chest freezer for $20 (<3 Craigslist) and I absolutely love it. It has enough room for a couple carboys, 3-4 corny kegs and my CO2 tank. It also holds temperature pretty well, so that the controller only kicks it on once or twice an hour at normal fermentation temps. Only downside: it was pretty old and one HEAVY SOB Took a lot of grunting to get it moved in.

I attached a pic; I just cleaned it out so the kegs are disconnected. Bonus cameo by my first all-grain batch in the carboy.

img_0004.jpg  

Old 09-07-2010, 10:15 AM   #3
renderit
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Just bought a 5 cu ft GE chest freezer at Home Depot. Will take one carboy with plenty of room to spare. They run about 160. For 180 you can go with a 7(or 8?) that (I think) would go 2. Fermenting at 64° it comes on about once every hour for maybe 2 minutes in a house at 79°, so the insulation appears to work ok.

Does anybody make a shorter carboy that could ride the hump?

Last edited by renderit; 09-07-2010 at 10:22 AM.

Old 09-07-2010, 12:34 PM   #4
KeithMoonsLiver
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

I also use a 5 cu ft chest freezer, if you can find a used one they are pretty cheap. I looked at the 7ft ones but I wasn't entirely confident I could fit 2 carboys in with the hump.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:28 PM   #5
dmbnpj
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithMoonsLiver View Post
I also use a 5 cu ft chest freezer, if you can find a used one they are pretty cheap. I looked at the 7ft ones but I wasn't entirely confident I could fit 2 carboys in with the hump.

So youre saying the 5 cuft one you have, does NOT have the hump in it?

Old 09-07-2010, 10:32 PM   #6
TomSD
Da Geek
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Some of the smaller ones don't have a hump they just raise the entire bottom of the freezer compartment.

Johnson Controller rewire
| Keezer (FCM7SUWW) build | Love Controller box build | Soda Syrups/Concentrates

God is an imaginary friend for grownups., Walter Crewes (Morgan Freeman), The Big Bounce

Don't be afraid to ask dumb questions they're easier to handle than dumb mistakes!

Old 09-07-2010, 11:16 PM   #7
KeithMoonsLiver
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbnpj View Post
So youre saying the 5 cuft one you have, does NOT have the hump in it?
the 5cu ft does have a hump, but there's more than enough room next to it for a 6 gallon carboy.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:42 PM   #8
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 63

I have a few. The 7.2 chest freezer is best. I want a 20 to ferment in and use the 7.2 for six kegs.

The mini fridge

The wood box lifts it even with the compressor. I cut the door and bent the freezer down. I wish it fit two kegs.

The side by side.

This will fit two fermenters or three kegs and a five pound CO2 tank.

The 7.2 Magic Chef.

This fits two buckets and a five gallon carboy. The bucket on the compressor has to have a blow off.

Buckets tend to work better than 6.5 gallon carboys because they are both skinner and shorter. I seldom use mine.

I think I'll have another pint of this highly flawed beer because it's so damned good.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:56 PM   #9
KrayzieVanh
Recipes 

I'd say check craigslist. You can find upright or chest freezer for cheap (if you have room for them). I don't know if a regular mini fridge would have enough room for a carboy. You may have to do some modifications. You may be able to find kegerator type mini fridges that are built to hold kegs or even wine coolers (with temp control) for cheap. YMMV.

Old 09-08-2010, 12:58 AM   #10
manoaction
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I'd enthusiastically second the craigslist comments. I live in a college town and there are dirty old mini fridges aplenty for $25 on craigslist.

Somewhere on here is a post of someone converting a whiskey barrel and a mini fridge into a kegerator and it gave me the bug big-time to find a way to do something similar for homebrew kegs.

Quick Reply