Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > "Best" Extract Kit Manufacturer(s)
View Poll Results: Best Extract Kit Maker(s)
Brewers Best 10 25.64%
Coopers 4 10.26%
Mountmellick 0 0%
Munton 6 15.38%
Rogue 2 5.13%
True Brew 1 2.56%
Other 16 41.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2009, 02:22 PM   #1
jim4065
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default "Best" Extract Kit Manufacturer

I'm starting to get a little experience with the True Brew kits, which I buy from the local supplier. It's the only brand he carries, so I'm wondering if I ought to try something else. Please take the poll and post your favorite kit maker if it's an "other". Also - I'm not ready for AG yet - let's make this just extract. Thanks in advance for your help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2009, 02:28 PM   #2
jim4065
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default "Best" Extract Kit Manufacturer(s)

I'm starting to get a little experience with the True Brew kits, which I buy from the local supplier. It's the only brand he carries, so I'm wondering if I ought to try something else. Please take the poll and post your favorite kit maker if it's an "other". Also - I'm not ready for AG yet - let's make this just extract. You can choose more than one if you want. Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 11-30-2009, 04:19 PM   #3
FlashRedGLS18T
Recipes 

I have used only one of those, Muntons. It went well.

Old 11-30-2009, 04:22 PM   #4
BrewRI
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I just put an IPA kit from AHS in my primary last night I'll let you know how it turns out.

Old 11-30-2009, 04:31 PM   #5
ZooBrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

You should differentiate between Pre-Hopped can kits or Full Boil ingredient kits.

Old 11-30-2009, 04:34 PM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4465 Times on 3251 Posts
Likes Given: 868

I did a few Brewer's Best kits a few years ago, and they were ok. I would say they would have been better if they were fresher. They sit on the shelves a bit after being made.

I like getting kits from a good homebrew store. They would put together a nice kit out of fresh extract, and crush the specialty grains when you order to ensure peak quality. I've successfully bought extract kids from northernbrewer.com and austinhomebrew.com. I prefer austinhomebrew.com, because they have many recipes to choose from and they have excellent instructions. Since then, I've bought other items from brewmaster's warehouse (not extract kits) and I'm buying my next kit from them. It's a beginning kit for my future son-in-law for Christmas.

There is probably nothing wrong with any of the kits you listed, but freshest is always better and good instructions count for a lot!

Old 11-30-2009, 06:11 PM   #7
lurker18
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I have only done the easy batches. Brew House "extract" kits. Not sure if you can really call them that, more concentrated wort kits. On my fifth batch in 6 months, and they are all very good, and so simple to make. Probably not what real brewing is like, I have yet to try that, but for a very fast and easy beer, they are top notch.

Old 11-30-2009, 06:15 PM   #8
JonK331
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Check out the Morebeer kits. They have several marked "10 Beers Under $.50 a Beer" which are a great way to check out the extract quality etc. I used to brew those all the time before I went all grain. Try some Safale 05 or 04 yeast as well. That stuff kicks ass.

Old 11-30-2009, 06:27 PM   #9
HickoryMike
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Austin Homebrew has the best extract kits I've used. They don't skimp on the ingredients....even their discounted kits are loaded with grains, hops, and a healthy amount of extract (many other companies I have ordered from inflate their profits by going light on the ingredients, leading to wimpy beers).

The promotional IPA's AHS is offering are incredible deals.

Old 11-30-2009, 06:50 PM   #10
Dave258
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I have done 3 True Brew kits, all have come out good, now I buy recipe kits from Austin Homebrew. I have made six of them so far (just finished brewing the Bavarian Hefe). All that I have tasted are great.

Dave

Blitzkrieg Brewery

Quick Reply