Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > best/cheapest online store

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2009, 09:20 PM   #1
Irish1225
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default best/cheapest online store

not sure if this is the "correct" place to post, but i'm a noob and will give it a try

i'm in chicagoland and want to get ready for my next brew but don't want to travel 30 miles to the nearest HBS. I don't need the materials immediately so i thought waiting for shipping would be no problem.

in anyone's experience, what's an online shop where i can buy quality individual ingredients (looking for some DME and steeping grains - nothing special) and yeast, along with cheap shipping? found A LOT of sites through a yahoo search, but wondered what has been good to people in the past.

i greatly appreciate any feedback. HBT is by far the most informative and friendliest forum i've used...ever!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2009, 09:22 PM   #2
Corp_T
Recipes 

I look at morebeer.com and northerbrewer.com

Those seem to be the cheaper ones that's I've seen. At least at my level

Old 01-20-2009, 09:37 PM   #3
dmob29
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I have already used MidWest Homebrewing and Wine Making Supply. Ordered a few things from them so far and they have cheaper prices than my local HBS and they only charge you what FEDEX charges them for shipping! They are in Minnesota so your shipping costs should be pretty inexpensive.
MidWest Supply

Before you go there....I do support my local HBS. I get all my ingredients and misc stuff there.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:39 PM   #4
BrewinJack
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

i like Midwest but Fedex is bull, expensive shipping and they deliver it to the wrong house twice before i got it... i had to buy a new yeat pack from the LHBS because the one they sent me was burst because it froze... i hate fedex

cheers

"I wish i could give all my genrals a bottle of what he's drinking..." Honest Abe

"On the 8th day God created Bars"

Primary:
Ginger mead (3 Gal)
Edworts Apfelwine (5Gal)
Australian Lager (5gal)

Secondary:
Operation "Black Gold" (High ABV) (5 Gal)

Bottled:
Carmel Stout
Stright Juice Cider
Apple/Blue berry/ale

Old 01-20-2009, 09:42 PM   #5
dmob29
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewinJack View Post
i like Midwest but Fedex is bull, expensive shipping and they deliver it to the wrong house twice before i got it... i had to buy a new yeat pack from the LHBS because the one they sent me was burst because it froze... i hate fedex

cheers
Damn... that's why the only ingredients I would consider being shipped to me is grain... and like 50 lbs of it at a time for me and my buds.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:48 PM   #6
ThatGuyRyan
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

What local store have you used? I hate my local store Wine Maker Supplies in Elmhurst, love Fox Valley Home Brew but they are in Aurora and the prices are a little high but a good bunch of guys. Brew n Grow in Roselle is ok but they did piss me off when I called to check on stock then drove out only to find out oops sorry we don't have that!

As for online I like Austin Home Brew for my ingredient kits but Midwest has better equipment prices or at least they have for everything I needed. I also price compared Northernbrewer and they seemed to be in-between the two on prices.

shat happens

Old 01-20-2009, 09:55 PM   #7
Hugh_Jass
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Here is a link for quite a few online stores. It's found in the Ingredients/Recipes section of this forum. I didn't see Brewmasters Warehouse mentioned in that thread, but that is the one I use.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:56 PM   #8
Brewmasters Warehouse
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 3

This is yet another shameless plug for my store, but here it goes anyway.

Brewmasters Warehouse has good prices and a large selection to choose from. There is $6.99 flat rate shipping for an order, no matter how much you order. Our Brew Builder application is one of a kind for an online HBS. You can choose the style of beer you want to brew and pick your ingredients, and can buy your entire recipe with 1 click.

Purchase a recipe with Brew Builder and save 10% off the recipe. Use discount code: BBBYO

Become a fan of BMW on Facebook.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:36 PM   #9
Irish1225
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuyRyan View Post
What local store have you used? I hate my local store Wine Maker Supplies in Elmhurst, love Fox Valley Home Brew but they are in Aurora and the prices are a little high but a good bunch of guys. Brew n Grow in Roselle is ok but they did piss me off when I called to check on stock then drove out only to find out oops sorry we don't have that!

As for online I like Austin Home Brew for my ingredient kits but Midwest has better equipment prices or at least they have for everything I needed. I also price compared Northernbrewer and they seemed to be in-between the two on prices.
I use Fox Valley...and yes, it's out of the way (from LaGrange anyway). So, figuring I have about a week until i have a primary available, might as well just online order.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:44 PM   #10
jds

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts

Here's another plug for Austin Homebrew Supply several times, and found the price, service, and shipping policy to be very good.

The one time I had a problem, it was due to an out-of-stock ingredient. Austin Homebrew let me know quickly, and we resolved the problem within a day. Their $6.99 flat fee shipping policy is a big selling point to me.

No affiliated, just satisfied. I'd probably order from Brewmaster's Warehouse too, except that the shipping time from Texas to Colorado is better than from Georgia (most likely), and for most of the year, I have to worry about yeast either cooking or freezing.

Quick Reply