New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Best change early on?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2012, 09:21 PM   #21
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 467 Times on 414 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by J187 View Post
And to the OP - regarding the suggestions of wort chiller, which is a great thing, I would just like to point out to you that it's much less useful or important if you are an extract brewer doing partial boils. If you do full boils or brew AG, it's important - for 2.5 gallons of wort, an ice bath is perfectly good.
He already has a wort chiller.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

...the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2012, 09:24 PM   #22
tre9er
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 230 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
If you are worried about the difference between converting starches in steeping grain or not, before you have figured out to keep your fermentation at the proper range, then there's a lot more to be done before you jump into AG brewing. There is plenty of control in extract brewers for a great many beers to be made to garner the experience necessary. There are plenty of steeping grains and other ways to control recipes than always having to mash munich.
I'm just talking about the total control factor that AG gives you. Nothing more. I didn't put priority on anything over another. Not sure where you're getting that impression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 10-15-2012, 09:34 PM   #23
mikemet
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Extract --> Brew In a Bag --> DIY Mash Tun --> DIY Hot Lauter - Mash Tun System

Anything after that is going to cost me some dough. Im still bottling. I love choices and my friends do too.

Eventually something fermentation chamber related- followed by a better tiered system with larger kettles to do the work

Primary 1 > Funky Dunky w/ Lemon test
Primary 2 > Apfelwein
Primary 3 > Experimental Pale Ale

Bottled > Bellys Belgium-E, Brown Eye PA-E, Pale Ale-E, Guinness -biab, Apfelwein, Funky Dunky Blonde-biab

Old 10-15-2012, 09:36 PM   #24
J187
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre9er View Post
I'm just talking about the total control factor that AG gives you. Nothing more. I didn't put priority on anything over another. Not sure where you're getting that impression.
In the context of the thread... The question was the next best step. All grain shouldn't even be a mention or a consideration if he's not yet actively controlling his fermentation temperature.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:37 PM   #25
tre9er
Recipes 

Quote:
In the context of the thread... The question was the next best step. All grain shouldn't even be a mention or a consideration if he's not yet actively controlling his fermentation temperature.
I agree. I was just commenting on why people DO choose to go to AG.

Quote:
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 10-15-2012, 09:39 PM   #26
J187
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre9er View Post
I agree. I was just commenting on why people DO choose to go to AG.
I agree with you too.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:45 PM   #27
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 467 Times on 414 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
IMO, you're full of it. I did all of three extract (with steeping grains) batches before one partial mash (BIAB) before going all grain. I've progressed from BIAB to a cooler mash tun to now a keggle mash tun (direct fire on a Blichmann burner).

IF he can maintain the correct, or desired, temperature range for the yeast being used, who cares how it's done? I don't have a fermentation chamber, but I also don't need one. There are plenty of people brewing great beers without fermentation chambers.

IF I could do things over again, I'd skip over BIAB and using coolers for mash tuns and go directly to keggles for the boil and mash tun. I would also not get the Bayou burner again, but go directly to the two Blichmann burners (that I now have).

Also, IMO/IME, a pure O2 system is far more important than a fermentation chamber. Doubly so if he can keep the yeast happy (temperature wise). Hell, making sure your water is great for brewing is far more important than a fermentation chamber.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

...the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed

Old 10-15-2012, 09:50 PM   #28
tre9er
Recipes 

The main reason I have a ferm chamber is because I don't have a room in my house that stays a constant temperature. The basement is somewhat buffered from external temp changes, but in the winter it's in the high 50's for a month or two, too cold for some ale strains. In the summer it's in the high 60's to low 70's and a swamp cooler can't apply cooling right when it's needed unless I'm standing there watching a thermometer and adding ice bottles.

My probe taped to the side isn't perfect, but it's closer than I ever was before by far (closet->basement->swamp cooler). I see/hear my fridge working hard during the peak of fermentation even though the ambient air in there is 40*, because the probe is picking up a much higher temp from the beer. If that was just a room set to 60* I'd have beer going from 60 to 70 back down to 60 again. Plus, I can lager, cold crash, anything I want just by changing one setting on the display.

Harvesting yeast, making starters (or not depending on when harvested and using tools like yeastcalc and mrmalty) along with ferm temp controls have improved not only the quality, but the turnaround time on my beers.

Quote:

Old 10-15-2012, 09:56 PM   #29
mbauer013
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 41

If you are going to stick with extract, then (after temp control or really at the same time since it costs nothing extra) try doing late extract additions. This is adding 1/3 - 1/2 of the extract right away and then the remining at 10 minutes left in the boil, some do it at flame out. This will help your beer by reducing malliard reactions in the boil. These reactions cause darkening of the wort and higher level caramel flavors that can be off-flavors for lighter beers.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:04 PM   #30
J187
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
IMO, you're full of it. I did all of three extract (with steeping grains) batches before one partial mash (BIAB) before going all grain. I've progressed from BIAB to a cooler mash tun to now a keggle mash tun (direct fire on a Blichmann burner).

IF he can maintain the correct, or desired, temperature range for the yeast being used, who cares how it's done? I don't have a fermentation chamber, but I also don't need one. There are plenty of people brewing great beers without fermentation chambers.

IF I could do things over again, I'd skip over BIAB and using coolers for mash tuns and go directly to keggles for the boil and mash tun. I would also not get the Bayou burner again, but go directly to the two Blichmann burners (that I now have).

Also, IMO/IME, a pure O2 system is far more important than a fermentation chamber. Doubly so if he can keep the yeast happy (temperature wise). Hell, making sure your water is great for brewing is far more important than a fermentation chamber.
First of all who said anything about a fermentation chamber? I said he should understand and have at least some control over his fermentation temp, Rather than leaving it at the mercy of ambient temperature. Secondly, I'm full of it? Nice... I knew eventually I would encounter at least one ignorant person on here, I'm just glad it took so long before the first. Nice way to have a constructive conversation, pretty sad when your people skills are so bad you can't even conduct yourself with dignity over a computer....

And regardless of what worked for you, I think the overwhelming majority would agree, that when you currently haven't even given consideration to the control of your ferm temps - ice bath, blanket, fermwrap, fridge, evaporating wet sock - whatever, the LAST thing that you should put on your priority list should be to switch to all grain. I'm not saying everyone should stay extract for a year or more, but two batches done AND he's on a forum asking what the next step he should take to become better at brewing and you think it's to dive into all grain, THEN you question MY logic!?

Quick Reply