Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Best Brewing Kit?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2011, 06:49 AM   #1
dest149
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Best Brewing Kit?

What is the best kit to buy? I am just getting in to the hobby, but havent been able to brew anything yet. I was looking at the "Deluxe Starter Kit" from Northern Brewer, but wasn't sure if there are better options in terms of equipment or price. Thanks for the input

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2011, 06:55 AM   #2
mlp2147
Recipes 

If you check out a couple of different brewstores on the internet you'll be able to compare them side by side. They all pretty much have the same items and more likely than not it'll come down to personal preference but you should be able to find one company over another whose price you like better. I think you'll be fine with the NB kit. I'm sure someone else may say different but I hope this helps.

Good luck!
Mike

Old 10-23-2011, 12:24 PM   #3
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 707 Times on 594 Posts
Likes Given: 221

I'd say that non of the starter kits have exactly what you need. I bought the basic kit and added a carboy to use to secondary when I wanted to add fruit. In 3 years I've used it twice for that. I have used it for a primary fermenter and I added another fermenter bucket so I could have 3 brews going at once. I'm even considering a 3rd bucket.

Since you don't know just what you need and what you will be doing with the kit in the future, start with the most basic kit. It will make great beer and you can spend what you saved from the deluxe kit on more ingredients. If you decide later on that you really need what is in the deluxe kit, you'll know exactly what you want to add.

Old 10-23-2011, 12:31 PM   #4
hoppymonkey
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM-MN View Post
I'd say that non of the starter kits have exactly what you need. I bought the basic kit and added a carboy to use to secondary when I wanted to add fruit. In 3 years I've used it twice for that. I have used it for a primary fermenter and I added another fermenter bucket so I could have 3 brews going at once. I'm even considering a 3rd bucket.

Since you don't know just what you need and what you will be doing with the kit in the future, start with the most basic kit. It will make great beer and you can spend what you saved from the deluxe kit on more ingredients. If you decide later on that you really need what is in the deluxe kit, you'll know exactly what you want to add.
+1. I'd save the money on the bigger kits untill you are sure you are hooked on the hobby. most of of us LOVE it, but there are defintely first timers who quit quickly and then sell their equipment cheap to guys like me.

Old 10-23-2011, 03:52 PM   #5
dest149
Recipes 

-deleted

Last edited by dest149; 10-23-2011 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Put it in a new thread

Old 10-23-2011, 06:11 PM   #6
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1852 Times on 1633 Posts
Likes Given: 1324

I'd say the best kit is one that gives you what you need that you don't already have. Or can scrounge locally on the cheap. You can save a few bucks that way.

Old 10-23-2011, 06:46 PM   #7
jk025
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I got the brewing starter kit with a glass carboy from midwest supplies. Everything showed up great and on time and my first batch is starting week 2 of fermenting.

Old 10-23-2011, 09:29 PM   #8
High_Iron
Recipes 

check craigslist. maybe you can pick up a kit that someone no longer uses.

Old 10-24-2011, 01:02 AM   #9
snowydog
Recipes 

I just bought a few things at the local grocery store for about $50. I had been making wine for 10 years so had some things like hydrometer and bottle washing gear. But I bought new primary and siphon for beer. Then all we have here is Coopers Kits. I can order on line I guess but they have been all I need to make beer that blows away 80% of whats in the liquor store. My upgrade has been using dry malt in place of corn sugar...smooth and creamy batches all summer long.

Old 10-24-2011, 01:09 AM   #10
dest149
Recipes 

What will the dry malt do vs the corn sugar? Isnt the corn sugar just to carbonate the beer? Is one DME better than another?

Quick Reply